The apology series (3)

Jeremwood
Word count: 26276
Chapters: 3

A christmas surprise

 Jeremy pulled at his beanie, further covering up his trademark purple and orange hair. He hated shopping. They were criminals for fucks sake! Why couldn't they just steal what they needed? But two days away from Christmas and here he was, standing in the middle of an over crowded mall, watching Golden Boy Gavin shop. If he didn't need something for Ryan, he wouldn't have even agreed to tag along. But he had no ideas and time was running out; along with his patience.

"Gavin, are you done yet? I'm getting claustrophobic and if we don't get out of here soon, I'm just going to open fire." Jeremy grumbled, then noticed the look on the face of the little old lady standing next to him. He gave her a blinding smile to show her that he was only kidding. He was so not kidding.

"Jeremy, why did you agree to come if you were just going to be salty the whole time?"

"Because I need something for Ryan. But seeing as how the mall doesn't have an ammo shop or any blades bigger than kitchen knives, I think I would have been better off at home." The little old lady turned a shocked glance in his direction again. Jeremy forced a laugh towards her before grabbing Gavin's arm and pulling him away. Gavin threw a wink and a wave over his shoulder at her.

"You need practice around civilians, and perhaps being civil. You're hurting my arm, Lil J!" Jeremy let him go and flopped down on a vacant bench. He let out an unhappy huff as he hit the cold wood and began pulling at his hat again. "What's the matter with you? You've never been a Grinch before. Now, all of the sudden, Christmas is like the end of the world." Jeremy rolled his eyes at the older lad. "Come on, talk to Gavvy. Lads need to stick together."

"It's just that... this is my first Christmas with Ryan."

"You've never had someone special for the holidays before?"

"Sure I have!" Jeremy was quick to defend himself, but then thought for a second. "Just no one that ever really... mattered." He really loved Ryan. They just hadn't gotten to the point where he felt like he could tell the other man. Not that he thought Ryan didn't love him the same, just that Ryan didn't seem to be ready to say it either. So for now, they were just "important" to each other.

Jeremy scuffed his shoes against the shiny tile floor and refused to look at Gavin. He knew what that happy squeaking meant. He knew the look he was getting. He was not an adorable kitten; he did not need those big watery lovey eyes pointed in his direction.

"Are you done?"

"Alright. Well, what's the problem then?"

"I don't have anything for him and I'm out of time. I just wanted it to be special."

"Special how?"

"I don't know! If I knew that, I would have something already! He's just such a simple guy. He doesn't need anything or want anything. I just wanted to find some way to show him I care."

"Well, have you considered maybe special for him could be more like an experience?"

"What?" Jeremy looked up to see Gavin looking away from him, eyes twinkling in a dangerous way. He followed the man's line of sight to a store. The large neon pink sign shined off the tiles and reflected doom back in Jeremy's horrified face. "No. Oh no. No way."

"Two days." Gavin singsonged. Jeremy reluctantly weighed his options.

"We're just looking." Gavin gasped excitedly, and before Jeremy's response had fully left his lips, the lanky man jumped up and began pulling him over to meet his fate.