the truth is in your face

Jeremwood
Word count: 3831
Chapters: 1

So, the thing about the Fakes is that they are all meddling assholes.

Jeremy learned that on day one, when Gavin-or Golden Boy, as he knew him at the time-greeted him into the crew by trying to convince him that having cameras in his room was totally normal and that he really should thank him for putting it there. Then again two weeks after that, when Michael started trying to trick him into getting rid of the mask that hid his face from the rest of the crew, using such subtle tactics as throwing food in his face and then claiming he just had to take the thing off on that exact instant or else it would stain, and smell, and his whole criminal reputation would be ruined.

And he noticed it again when, five months back, he had drunkenly confessed his love for Ryan to them and thus began a very intricate and complicated plan to get them together by creating a number of schemes where the crew would basically force Ryan and Jeremy to confess their "gay undying feelings for each other"-as Geoff had so kindly put it.

Another important thing to know about the Fakes was that, for a bunch of criminal masterminds, they were unbelievable dumb, because on the day Jeremy drunkenly confessed to them about his big awkward crush on Ryan, he also confessed to the man himself and thus, they started dating.

At first, they didn't tell the rest of the crew because they didn't want to put a name on the relationship, fear of their little Bonnie and Clyde romance crashing and burning before it even started. It was all too new, there was so much to explore, none of them wanted to freak the other out with labels they might not be comfortable with, or show each other just how desperate they were for this relationship to work. And boy, they were desperate, because all too soon they were making it official, the words 'I need you' becoming an all too familiar substitute to the words they wouldn't, they couldn't say.

And when they did start dating, both of them realized that it would be better if they didn't tell anyone, not because of shame or fear of how their co-workers would react, but because it was just too fucking funny not to. Their friends were so desperate to play cupid that they didn't even notice when the battle buddies' friendly banter became actual flirting. Because of them, at least once a week they'd walk into a room and the doorknob of the exit would 'mysteriously fall off', leaving them both into a forced Seven Minutes In Heaven that they were more than glad to participate in. Whenever Jeremy walked out of a room, Jack and Geoff would start in-depth conversations about how good the lad's ass was looking that day and beckon Ryan to share his own thoughts about it, which, most of the time, were just comments about how they desperately needed to hire an HR team.

At the end of the day, it gave Jeremy and Ryan something to laugh about and bond over, it was something that they could bring up when they got home after a long job to cheer the other up or something to mock over Chinese take out on lazy weekends where they barely even left the bed. It was something extra just for the two of them, and if the worry of what would happen when it was finally gone crossed Jeremy's mind from time to time, he'd never admit it; too busy making sure everything was absolutely perfect to focus on his own insecurities.

So he thinks that, in a way, he should be thankful for the crew's new 'masterplan'.

Well, masterplan might be giving them too much credit, it was a plan for sure, and a convenient one too. A big name in arms dealing was throwing a fancy gala to raise funds for a fake charity or another, a money-laundering scheme just barely hidden under more money and appearances that most high society couldn't see past. Geoff didn't care about any of that, he was more than fine with watching rich people throw their money down the drain, but he did want to know what secret meetings were going on behind closed doors and where the man's loyalty really lied.