Chapter 1

Milo's POV:

"The girl wandered through the forest, lost and alone. Luckily she stumbled upon a friendly badger, who gave her some berries and pointed her in what he said was the right direction. She took the berries and set off that way, eventually she ran into a friendly bear, who gave her some honey and pointed her in another direction. She wandered until she saw a massive bird, 'Hi mister!' she shouted, hoping to get the bird's help. But unfortunately this bird was not as friendly as the other animals, he gave her a poisonous apple, and pointed her in the direction of a dangerous cave. The girl, not knowing any better, set off in that direction and she...she.."

I heard the sound of the book being closed followed by a hefty sigh. I opened my eyes and saw my mother next to my bed with a pensive look on her face. I reached out and tugged on her sleeve.

"Mommy, what happened to the little girl?"

Her eyes snapped in my direction as a brief look of panic fell over her, but she quickly recovered and put on a big smile.

"Uhm the girl..she- she made it home safe and sound. There was a lovely bat in the cave who led her back to her home."

Relief fell over me and I let out a content yawn. My mother chuckled softly and stood up, the old rocking chair creaking at the sudden movement. My mother planted a soft kiss on my head and walked over to the door.

"Get some rest dear." She said softly as she turned out the light and pulled the door closed.

It didn't take long for me to drift off to sleep, but as I felt my consciousness drift away, I suddenly was full of energy and shot upwards. I scanned the room and was met with my usual empty, cramped dorm.

"Ughh... another memory." I grumbled to myself.

Recently my dreams shifted from abstract thoughts from the day, to vivid retellings of past memories. Specifically memories involving my mother and her random bedtime stories. I had gotten over her death long ago, but it still left me with a weird melancholy feeling that lasted a good while. Still, they were endearing memories nonetheless. The way she sheltered me from the true endings of some of those stories. I know now that little girl never made it home, the whole story served as a way to show that being too trusting can be a bad thing. But I still like her ending better, it's a nice reminder that even though there are some bad apples out there, it's not a reason to close yourself off forever.

I heaved myself out of bed and landed on the floor with a thud, it might seem odd but it's really the only way I can get my body to wake up enough to move. Once I dusted myself off, I grabbed my basket of various toiletries, and headed down the hall to the bathroom. Once I had brushed my teeth and showered, I quickly ran back to my room and got dressed. I hate scampering around like I do, but I'm not a fan of social interaction, especially after just waking up.

Once I had all my things in order, I headed to my first class, something stopped me though. I was about halfway down the stars in the dorm building when I felt something. Like a deep tugging on my heart, pulling me further down the steps. So I continued on, I needed to head that way anyway to reach the main entrance. Once I hit the main floor however the tugging remained. I looked around the stairwell and didn't find much except some dusty boxes, and janitorial supplies. The tugging became a dull throb and it got harder and harder to breathe.

I stumbled over and grabbed the wall for support, that's when I felt it. There was a slight bump in the wallpaper, I traced it with my finger and found that it was in the shape of a door. I wasn't about to ruin the wallpaper, as I knew administration wouldn't take too kindly to that, but the pain was getting so intense that I had to do something. I made sure no one was looking and I took out a pen. Using it's pointed tip I stabbed a hole in the edge of the door and carefully traced an outline around it. Enough for it to open, without doing too much damage to the wall.