Chapter 19

Three days pass, it is far less joyful. Even the skies weep for the loss of someone like Wyborn. Iver for hundreds of miles hear the great horn on the peak of Mount Gro blown.

At the Ragnulf keep, Kalman finishes his preparations. He looks to a picture of him and his wife in uniform from almost thirty years ago. Jarl comes over dressed in his formal uniform and goes to attention while Cord sits for Kalman. It is odd to not see his father take notice to him right away... Yet it does not come as a surprise.

"Sir," Jarl says as he walks over but knows his father is battling his own past. Kalman says nothing. "Sir." Kalman does not respond with the images of war continue to fill his mind. "Father," Jarl says while grabbing him by the arm.

Kalman lowers his hand and looks over his shoulder at his son with a crazed look in the eyes that goes away after a second before turning to face Jarl. For Jarl it comes as no surprise in the least by the look his father gave him. As a father, Kalman can't help but make sure that his son looks perfect. The eyes of the Jarl's father turns to the Iver military insignia engraved on the chest of his son's armor.

"How are you feeling, son?"  Kalman asks and both keeps their military bearing with their answer.

"Good to go, sir."

"I am not asking as your Corps Commander, Jarl. I am asking as your father." Jarl thinks of what his father means and chooses what to say with caution.

"Whatever you need me to do, I will see it done, sir," Jarl says.

"Good." Kalman hands Jarl a knife. "Make sure the prisoners show proper respect during the funeral." Jarl looks to the blade and knows what meaning is behind it. Kalman gives him more information. "Tonight you, myself and Marko, along with a squad of his security bots will escort the prisoners to the meeting."

"You want me there, sir?"

"It is a good learning opportunity for you. Knowledge is an even greater trait than all our fighting abilities... Now go and make sure they learn real consequences if they disrespect our ways."

Jarl salutes his father and he makes his way outside and exit the Ragnulf compound. For a mile he walks down the roads. There is a large coliseum used for fighting. It also serves as a place where Iver warriors are laid to rest. In the center of the stone ring is wood stacked twenty feet high.

Thousands fill the arena to pay their respects. Those who can't attend would have it broadcasted to them throughout the planet. When an Iver dies, it is custom for them for the Iver to pay their respects. Especially those who have dedicated themselves to the Iver military.

Jarl makes his way up to the upper levels. Hundreds of feet up on the higher floor, the Majod prisoners are in restraints. Marko and his security bots stand behind them with rifles aimed at the back of their heads.

As Jarl walks up the steps he catches the eyes of the prisoners. Saja takes one look at them and feels an odd aura like she feels with Marko. She can't help but be curious as their demeanor continues to be cold but quite concentrated even when embracing Marko. Jarl then turns his attention back to Saja.

"Interrogation must have gone well," Jarl says to Marko after glancing at Saja's face that has slight bruising. "Listen carefully. Be silent during this ritual or you will be silenced," Jarl tells them as he walks in front of them and Saja's assistant has a small chuckle under her lips. "Did I say something funny?"

"You won't do anything," the assistant tells him with confidence and Jarl slowly walks over. "The Grand Overseer will make sure you and your people will be punished. The Fed-"

Jarl grabs her by the throat and hoists her up. She can do nothing and neither can her Majod companions as they start shouting. All of them are shot with a stun round and forced to watch as Saja's assistant is made an example of. Marko holds her down on her knees while two bots grip her arms.