Chapter 17

Iver soldiers are quite busy with scrambling patrols across the mountains. In groups of fours riding upon Feilan beasts through the woods. Vehicles patrol the roads while conducting scans. Shuttles take to the skies, conducting low level patrols.

There is a black ship that flies down towards Iver main headquarters. A ship not of Iver military all decked out in black. Those on watch see it and don't act surprised as it lands at one of the docks. The ship touches down and the ramp lowers with steam rising up creating a fog.

Emerging from that steam, Marko makes his way down who they clear a path for. With him he has four robots for personal security and are armed with rifles that are far more devastating than a regular Iver rifle.

Inside one of the infirmary rooms, Kalman watches on as his son is stripped of his clothing. Jarl is hooked up to multiple machines to keep track of his vitals. His body continues to bleed immensely and the medics do all they can to stop him from losing anymore. It still isn't enough.

"Sir, we need to put him in the pod to accelerate the healing process or he isn't going to make it," the lead medic tells him.

"Do it," Kalman says calmly.

Jarl is laid inside a medical pod. They close it and fills with red liquid. Jarl's body floats while the pod goes vertical. Kalman presses his fist on the pod. Jarl does the same for a moment. Kalman proudly looks at his son as Jarl shuts his eyes, and the pod fills with liquids fluid to keep him in stasis.

"Reckless, son. Incredibly reckless... But honorable. How bad?"

"He has endured a lot, sir," the medic explains while taking more samples. "These wounds are far from minor like. One of the spikes in his rib cage was pretty deep and he lost a lot of blood. Walking here in those severe conditions with what he was dragging didn't help."

"He has proven everyone wrong for twenty years," Kalman tells the medic as he watches his son rest. "You just keep proving them wrong, Jarl."

Though there is silence on the exterior, inside Jarl's mind is a far cry from such things. The screams of men, women, and children of all ages from different races fill his mind. A past that continues to linger in his mind. Images begin to take shape. He sees himself inside a medical pod similar to the one he is in now but is only twelve years old. The liquid drains out of it and the pod door opens.

Several Myrkr guards covered in thick armor come in with stun wands. Jarl charges at them to try and escape. He is too weak to unleash his abilities and is stunned several times by their weapons. Jarl continuously fights and is forced to be stunned by three wands continuously at the same time to detain him. Jarl is dragged out and down the prison wing where several children like him including Marko and the five year old girl watch.

His body is chained up in a large round room. He can't see the faces of who is present. His body is lashed and burned. Chemicals are induced into him in order to keep him aware. Jarl cries out to the point he starts to laugh and shouts one word repeatedly.

"More! More!"

Jarl remembers it all so well. The sound of his flesh being ripped open by the cracking whip. His skin sizzling and the scent that fills his nose. Tasting of lethal insects that would kill most shoved in his mouth. All of it drives his young self into a frenzy as he feels for hours.

Kalman goes down the hall finding Cord laying on the floor. He puts his furry friend to assure him some comfort. Walking down the room he passes an ailing retired Sergeant who is slowly passing. He then comes to the room where Torben is tended to for his wounds. He sits there silent with his head down. Kalman says nothing to him and touches foreheads to his older brother and Torben nods. Kalman takes his leave to allow the medics to keep working on Torben. Exiting the room Kalman finds himself resting against the wall taking a few deep breaths to steel his nerves.