Test prep and group projects

Right, two years and I just now update this. My bad. But to be fair, it really doesn't look like anyone reads this anymore anyway. 

But I've got college crap to deal with and these two topics are relevant no matter how old you are. School wise and real life wise. So let's get into this.

Tests are the bane of every student, no matter if you're in elementary school or college. Easiest way to deal with them? Read the chapter summary and vocab as you do assignments. That'll make it easier in the long run. Short term? Well that's a lot easier than you think. Teachers will often keep past tests or at least have a test prep packet. Those will be a saving grace when finals come along. If they don't? Well the easiest thing to do would be asking a tutor or older student if they have any tips or their old test, because some students are weird and like keeping stuff like that. 

The biggest thing I can suggest is asking if the test is open note or if you can have a bit of time to study before hand. In college, most of my finals are open book and open note. High school not so much. But that's mostly because students don't ask these questions. Online, it's a lot easier because you can do these things even if teachers say not to. At least unless the test has you on camera, which is something they can do even if they aren't there to watch initially. Otherwise, the best you can do is make a study group, not with your friends but with people you're likely to actually be able to study with. 

Friends will most likely do more distraction than actual studying, random people will keep you on task. Even if they're in another time for the same class, I guarantee someone will be willing to help you out if you just asked.Make sure they have the time and meet them somewhere like the library or ask the teacher to use their classroom after school. They'd be happy to help on a day they're able to or even recommend another teacher if they aren't available. 

Group projects are a bit more complicated. 

Everyone has that one group mate that doesn't do anything and doesn't respond in the group chat when plans are being made. Sure they'll see what you're saying but they won't do anything until it's time to present. 

Best way around this is to make plans without them or in person. It's not your fault they don't want to do the project! If they're not doing their part then you need to tell the teacher. Best case scenario they get removed from the group and you'll carry on as normal. Worst case, the teacher at least knows not to give them credit. 

This will happen in real life too, so it's best to nip it in the bud before it gets bad. 

The best thing you can do for the non helpful person would be to keep them updated on what's going on but don't give specifics until they are actively trying to do the project. You need to do what you can to get them to start saying when they're free to meet up so they don't have an excuse to not do anything. 

If they still don't actually do anything? Keep a copy of what everyone's jobs were and who actually ended up doing it. Make progress reports during the project and turn those two things in together with the project so the teacher knows who did what and when. Will it get the lazy person in trouble? Probably, but that's their fault not yours. They shouldn't be able to get a good grade when they didn't even do anything.

Their laziness, their consequences. Your work, your grade. Not that hard to understand.