The Journey to Hogwarts

Note: I'm pretty sure all students canonically get their letters around the end of July, but l'm having them get them on their 11th birthday here (unless their birthday is in August, then they'd get it earlier)

.........................................................

On the 11th of May, 1973, Leonora Potter turned 11 years old. It was on that same day that she received her Hogwarts letter. She had just sat down for breakfast when her large, tawny owl Daffi burst in through an open window screeching, and dropped it right into her porridge.

Grimacing, Leonora quickly plucked the letter out of her food and shook it a few times, sending little bits of the porridge flying around the clean table. Turning it over in her hands, she admired the red wax seal that was stamped into place with the Hogwarts crest.

Peeling the wax back, she carefully pulled her letter out from the envelope and began reading.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Src., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Potter

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Pleased find enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment. Term Begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva Mcgonagall,

Deputy Headmistress

Before Leonora had a chance to skim over the supplies list, her mother briskly exited the kitchen with a plate of steaming sausages and eggs held in her hands, as her father followed not far behind. Her parents didn't believe in using house elves.

"Was that Clemmi I just heard?" She wondered out loud as she set the plate down in the center of the table. Clemmi was the family owl. "It's a bit early to be delivering the post, don't you think, Fleamont?" They had yet to notice the letter that Leonora was holding in between in her hands.

It wasn't unusual for them to not notice her, even when James was gone and she was the only other person there. He was currently in his second year at Hogwarts, although the term would be ending in about a month.

"It was for me."

Her parents met her eyes as they pulled out their chairs to sit down.

Leonora had never gotten any mail of her own before, so they both wore confused expression's in an attempt to figure out what she could have received. She was hoping that they would be able to figure it out on their own.

Unfortunately, they often forgot about her birthday and would try to make it up by taking her out to fancy dinners and buying her whatever she wanted. She never wanted steak dinners or the newest witches clothes though. She wanted her parents to love her as much as they loved James.

She remembered that on James's eleventh birthday, their parents sat with him at the dining table eagerly awaiting his letter. It had taken him a surprisingly long time to exhibit any form of actual magic, and her parents always worried that he had been born a squib.

And here she was comparing herself to James, again.

As Leonora parents weren't able to give her an answer, she sighed, upset. "It's my Hogwarts letter," she finally spoke up after the long pause for them to think. "It's my birthday today. I take it you both forgot⎯again." She rested her chin on her palm as she picked at her porridge with a spoon.