Chapter 3

The violent sway of the ship sent shock waves of panic through Michael's body as he struggled to maintain his balance. The room spun around him, the walls closing in. Desperate cries filled the air as the storm unleashed its fury upon the vessel, its wrath unforgiving and relentless.

With trembling hands, Michael clung to anything within reach, his heart pounding in his chest with a primal fear unlike anything he had ever known. Each crash of thunder reverberated through his bones, a chilling reminder of the journey he now faced.

Ashton, who had been bracing himself against the onslaught of the storm, fought his way through the thrashing waves to reach Michael's cabin. "Michael!" Ashton shouted above the deafening roar of the storm, his voice barely audible over the howling wind. "Hold on! I'm coming for you!"

With a strength born from determination, Ashton wrenched open the door to Michael's cabin, the sight that greeted him filled his heart with dread, the young man huddled on the floor, his face drained of color and terror etched into every line of his features.

Without hesitation, he reached out a hand, pulling Michael to his feet and guiding him towards the deck.

Together, they fought their way through the raging weather, each step a battle against the merciless force of nature. It lashed at the ship with ferocious winds. Ashton and Michael clung to each other for dear life as they navigated the deck, their senses assaulted by the onslaught of elements.

With every step, Ashton's grip tightened around Michael's trembling form. He knew that their survival depended on their ability to weather the storm, the wind whipped at their clothes, stinging their skin with icy fury as they struggled to maintain their footing on the slick deck.

"We need to find shelter!" Ashton shouted above the roar of the wind, his voice barely audible over the storm. "The hold should provide some protection from the worst of it!"

With a nod of agreement, Michael clung to Ashton's side as they made their way towards the safety of the ship's hold.

As Ashton and Michael fought their way towards the ship's hold, they passed Calum, who was battling the elements alongside other crew members. Calum's sharp eyes widened with concern as he caught sight of Michael's pale face, his usual stoic demeanor softened by worry.

"Is he alright?" Calum shouted over the howling wind.

Ashton nodded grimly, his grip on Michael's arm tightening reassuringly. "He's shaken, but he'll be fine. We need to find shelter before the storm worsens!"

They pressed onward, their progress hampered by the violent lurching of the ship and the assault of wind and rain.

Michael had quickly learned that the kindness Luke showed on the day he was taken, was only a ploy. Luke's promise to bring him food was never fulfilled, and it was only when Ashton realized this a day later that he was brought a meal. By that time he was trying to pass the time by sleeping, assuming that the vikings had realized their mistake and were killing him off slowly. He was about ready to beg for some food.

Finally, they reached the entrance to the ship's hold, the sturdy door offering protection from the worst of the storm. Inside the hold, the air was thick with the scent of salt and sweat, the dim light casting eerie shadows against the walls. Crew members huddled together for warmth, their faces drawn with exhaustion and fear.

Ashton guided Michael to a secluded corner of the hold, where they could hunker down and wait out the storm. Calum joined them, his presence a comforting presence for once.

Luke suddenly burst into the hold, his expression grave as he surveyed the scene before him. His eyes fell upon Ashton, Michael, and Calum huddled together in the corner.

"What's going on?" Luke demanded, his voice laced with tension. "Why the hell are we all holed up in here?"

Ashton rose to his feet, his gaze meeting Luke's with a steely determination. "We're seeking shelter from the storm," he explained tersely. "It's not safe on deck with the wind and waves as fierce as they are."

Luke's brow furrowed in frustration, his hands clenched into fists at his sides. "We can't afford to stay cooped up down here," he argued. "We need to tend to the ship, make sure she weathers the storm."

Ashton shook his head, his voice firm. "It's too dangerous out there, Luke. We'll wait until the storm passes before we venture back on deck."

Luke's jaw tightened, a flash of defiance in his eyes. But before he could protest further, a deafening crash reverberated through the hold, the sound of splintering wood echoing in the cramped confines of the space.

The ship lurched violently, throwing the crew off balance as they struggled to maintain their footing. Panic rippled through the hold, fear gripped their hearts as they realized the severity of their situation.

With a grim realization, Ashton and Calum sprang into action, rallying the crew together to assess the damage and shore up the ship's defenses.

Michael sat where he was, shaking and weak. Watching as people scattered around him, some working and some pretending to work.

It was survival of the fittest.

Michael sat still, staring at the wall with a detached feeling. He listened to the shouts from up above, the storm appeared to be calming down.

The door to the hold swung open, hitting the wall behind it, and effectively making Michael jump.

"Get up." Calum stormed in, grabbing Michael by his arm and dragging him up. "You don't understand the chaos you have caused," Calum said, moving his hand to rest gently on Michael's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, I really don't want to be a burden. I don't even know why I am here." Michael apologized. He could see the blade of Calum's sword and was hoping it would never touch his own fair skin.

Calum's grip tightened on Michael's shoulder, his expression unreadable as he surveyed the chaos around them. "you're not the only one" he muttered.

As Michael glanced around the hold, he could see the expression etched into the faces of his fellow crew mates, the uncertainty of their situation weighing heavily upon them. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was a pawn in a larger game, one he had no control over.

"I wish I could give you answers, Michael," Calum said, his tone tinged with regret. "I have a feeling Ashton knows more than he lets on. If I'm being honest, I probably would have killed you during the raid. "

Ashton, who had been coordinating the crew's efforts, approached them.  "We've managed to stabilize the ship for now," he announced, "But we're not out of danger yet so get back out here Hood."

Calum pulled me forward, "let's go."