[25] Lovers

"I-I'm grateful that you would even try–"

"I can guarantee it." I said, certainty in my tone. "I have close ties with Cordelia, if you're willing to live there." He looked at me surprised, and then nodded. "You should tell me now if you need any items from your house. I'll be sure to pass it on to your butler." I said, and he named a few things. I nodded, then took my leave.

—----------------------

That night..

Navier's POV

"While I was collecting the documents, I saw the palace investigators on horseback." Lady Artina spoke to me, handing me the evidence that was in Viscount Landre's study.

"Did you run into them?" I asked.

"No, I managed to keep my distance."

"Well done." I nodded.

I took the report from Lady Artina and skimmed it. It was as the Viscount said. I frowned as I read a particular statement from the document.

'Viscount Lotteshu received the Star of Red Flames from Rashta, and sold it to an auction house.'

How did he know that..?

A ring with a red jewel. Not many people knew that it belonged to the Emperor, fewer still that he gave it to Rashta. I didn't even know until Sovieshu asked me about the Desert Flower Ring a while back...

No, that's not important right now.

Right now, I had to deal with Viscount Landre's fate. I stowed the report in a secret drawer in my desk and headed to the central palace, going to Sovieshu's office. I didn't wait to be announced, and simply entered the room.

He was studying his papers with a thoughtful expression, when he looked up at me in surprise.

"Empress? What happened?"

"Please change Viscount Landre's sentence and have him banished instead." I said calmly.

"That is none of your concern." Sovieshu spoke in a firm tone and waved his hand as if he found the conversation annoying.

"Your Majesty." I protested.

"There are many reasons for me to be upset right now, but Rashta is pregnant. Viscount Landre may not have intended it, but he almost killed my child." Sovieshu sighed in annoyance.

"Don't you care about why the Viscount did what he did?" I asked.

"What matters to me is the fact that my child almost died. So if you're here to argue, you should leave." He gestured to the door.

"Then I suppose I'll have to handle the results of Viscount Landre's investigation myself." I said in a cold tone. I turned around and took a few steps towards the door, when Sovieshu stopped me.

"Wait. What are you talking about? What do you mean?" He asked curiously. I stopped, and turned to face him.

"This is a separate matter from the incident that posed a threat to your child's life. You should deal with Viscount Landre according to the law..." I paused, and looked him in the eyes. "..and I will deal with Rashta according to the law."

"With what evidence?" he demanded.

"I have a report detailing her actions. As I'm sure you know, the law states that the punishment for what Rashta did, which was tarnishing the reputation of a member of high society by spreading false information..is to receive lashes. Twenty, to be exact. On top of that, there's the matter at the public ball, which would make her punishment be twenty additional lashes." I said seriously, looking him in the eyes as his face grew irate.