𝟬𝟬𝟳. ❝five hundred and eighteen years❞

"FUCKING BASTARD," RAINE SEETHED THROUGH GRITTED TEETH

"FUCKING BASTARD," RAINE SEETHED THROUGH GRITTED TEETH. Her hands were clenched into tight fists as she stared down at Mikael's still form on the ground. Every cell in her body wanted nothing more than to light him on fire and watch him burn. But she controlled herself, for now.

Instead, she lashed out with her foot, kicking Mikael's leg so hard it bent at an unnatural angle. The satisfying crunch of breaking bone did little to quell her rage. Scoffing in disgust, she sat herself down on the couch, putting as much distance as possible between herself and the monster who had haunted her family for centuries. 

The twins were in the parlour of the Salvatore Boarding House conspiring with Stefan, Elena and Damon on a plan to lure Klaus back into town so Mikael could finally kill him. But what the doppelgänger and her boyfriends failed to realise was that while Raine despised her brother, her loathing for Mikael eclipsed any hatred for Klaus tenfold.

A few minutes later, Stefan called Klaus. As the youngest Salvatore mentioned Mikael, her scowl only deepened when Klaus demanded to speak to the twins. Raine shot daggers at Elena with her piercing glare and snatched the phone from Stefan's outstretched hand, the blonde was not over the fact that the girl told her sister the truth about their mother's death in such a precarious way.

Rebekah noticed her sister's fury and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Raine forced her tone to remain level. "Hello, Nik," the twins answered in unison.

"My darling little sisters. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with a dagger?"

Raine's hands curled into tight fists at the monster's name, her fingernails digging painfully into her palm. She stayed stoically silent, letting Rebekah do the talking as her rage simmered just beneath the surface, "It's true." Rebekah broke the silence. "He's finally out of our lives for good."

"We miss you, Nik. We are miserable here," Raine hated the neediness in her tone but she played the part of the miserable sister for Nik's sake. All she wanted was to be rid of this wretched town and with any luck, Klaus would return soon to grant their escape from this misery.

Klaus thought about his options, "I'll be home soon."

"Good. We'll see you then, brother," Rebekah finalised. As the call ended, Raine passed the phone back to Stefan with more force than needed, and couldn't help one last vindictive kick to Mikael's side.

"This changes nothing," Raine seethed at the others. Elena flinched back from the fury in Raine's cold eyes and without another word, the blonde rose and strode from the room.

✱ ✱ ✱ ✱ ✱ ✱

Raine was curled up in an armchair by the window of her room, engrossed in her book as the rain tapped lightly against the glass. A soft knock disrupted her reading and she glanced up with a sigh. "Come in."