Chapter 14

It had been several days since the generals heard of our victory in the battle against the demons. Eero also notified them of my, or at least, Theron's success in slaying their leader, the so-called General Aeron of Belial. We had sent the letter entailing the events surrounding that fateful battle, writing down the key elements they should acknowledge for the ones to come. In light of our victory, two days after sending the letter, the generals replied that with the advantage our hreinsa for our soldiers, our regiment will not be needed, as the responsibility of defending the nation will be shifted more to the stronger fleets. Thus, as a token of appreciation for our efforts, we will be permitted to return home to visit our families and aid in restoring our villages to be more formidable for its citizens. Our time with our family will be temporary, as the generals may need to call on us to defend our beloved nation.

As much as I would have been happy to return home with some honour due to my pivotal role in the battle, my mind was consumed with thoughts of how I would be able to maintain my place as a soldier so I could carry out Cahira's plan. Abaddon and Diona would do whatever they can to get me to return home and resume my role in the castle. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they already planned the means they would take to paint my faked death as more of a misleading disappearance to avoid arousing suspicion from the generals. Although, if they reveal that my faked death was part of our ploy to satisfy my lingering desire to earn honour to my name, it wouldn't create a commotion. Regardless, I needed to find an excuse great enough to allow me to remain on the frontlines to bring me closer to my objective.

Pondering the possibilities of how I could avoid leaving my position I fiddled with my repulsive mash of leaves and other nutritious herbs. Alden, on the other hand, was oblivious to the taste of the food. His sole focus was on the chance to see his family once more. Since we were told we would get to stay with our families for a short while, he kept telling me of the excitement of seeing his children after so long. He marvelled at the thought of the type of individuals they had become, both appearance-wise and in their personality as well. His words kept reminding me of my unborn child and its mother, both of who I have not taken care of because of my absence. By now, the child would have heard my voice, knowing it had a father to protect it. Yet, with my calling, the noises it will hear for a while could be the weeping of its mother, who worries day and night about my wellbeing, not to mention the fate in store for me. Continuously, I prayed for the universe to forgive me for my failures, and that it would be merciful enough to let me live through the fight now.

"Theron. General Kedar has arrived," Eero whispered in my ear. "He wishes to speak with you right this moment."

"Understood," I responded.

Getting up from my seat, I trailed behind Eero as he led me through the cold, narrow corridors of the fortress. While we walked, I watched Eero ball his fist then release it over and over again. It puzzled me to see Eero act so tensely. Should we not be content? We were the first regiment to win against the enemy after countless years filled with miserable attempts. Had General Kedar discovered my identity? I doubt it. Otherwise, this would be a spectacle done in front of the others, and not behind closed doors. Slowly, the tension in Eero was making me uneasy. I already had a lot to worry about. The last thing I need is any added stress from General Kedar, especially if it were to throw me off course with my plans.

Shortly after leaving the bustling dining hall, we reached the quaint room where General Kedar sat on an intricately carved wooden chair by a heavy cedar table. Behind were columns of books and objects revolving around battle tactics, survival and war. General Kedar studied the feather pen in his hand, narrowing his eyes so much that it felt that he expected the feather to transform into something else on its own.

"General Kedar," Eero spoke up, grabbing the older man's attention, "Theron is here, as you requested."

"Thank you, Eero," Kedar stood up to bow. "You may return to the dining hall to eat. I wish to speak with Theron in complete and utter privacy. No one should disturb us unless the matter is a question of life or death."