Chapter 33

"How do you feel?" I asked, gently placing a hand on Princess Kyra's shoulder.

"I feel like I am in a nightmare," she said, her body tensed as she crossed her arms. "As if I am here, but somehow separate from reality."

"You are nervous. It's understandable."

"I haven't done anything and I already feel guilty. The thought of seeing his betrayed face haunts me everytime I go to bed. I mean, what kind of daughter am I? Taking the life of the man who has given me everything that I have."

"It's not a easy situation," I comforted, "but what you are doing will restore everything your father stole from the people whose lives he destroyed."

"I can't do this," she turned her head away. Moving to see her face to face, I saw her eyes focus on something in the background as her blank expression indicated she was lost in the myriad of thoughts, doubts, guilt and every possible emotion that could be brought by a situation like this.

"Kyra... I know this difficult for you... but please understand. This is for the greater good. I won't lie, it will take you some time for you to wrap your head around what you will do, but when you see peace it will bring, I can promise you, you will not regret it."

"I know. Even so, what you said does not lessen the intensity in which I feel each of my emotions."

"I know," I added with a sigh.

For the past few nights, Princess Kyra had briefed me on her plan to eliminate her father and whatever influence he held over his empire. In the meantime, Alden and the others had spied on the various guards to see which ones had a considerable report with that wretched king.

At first, I had regarded Kyra as a heartless woman, who enjoyed toying with people for her amusement. However, with every interaction, I uncovered bits and pieces of her that revealed how truly human she is, despite her near immortal lifespan. It reminded me of how people can only seem sharp on the outside simply because she was nearly broken beyond repair. And although by customs, I was her husband, I felt I played more of the role of being a confidant. Despite her telling many things like how a owner talks to her pets, with every conversation, she slowly saw me as an equal, or something close to that.

"Your highness awaits for you," a guard approached us, signalling to the princess to enter the throne room. I waited behind, peering from the entrance to ensure that he did not see me. The other were posted close by to join if the opportunity arose.

Sitting on his throne, King Syzrel gazed at us with a soft smile. He then stood up to walk up to us shortly before pulling his daughter into a tight embrace."

"Good evening, my child," he greeted. " You look beautiful today."

"Thank... Thank you, father," she stuttered.

"You know," he said as he returned to his seat, "I was wondering why you requested an audience with me. After all, title aside, I am your father. You can talk to me about anything. I am proud of everything you have done, and I hold you dearest to me."

"Father, we need to stop slaughtering neighbouring nations to grow our empire."

"I beg your pardon."

By this point, any hint of warmth had been extinguished, leaving behind a cold response. His eyes narrowed on his daughter, yet he withheld his anger in case he had misheard her words. In light of her countless remarks of her father being unredeemable, I had not expected her to attempt to reason with her father. Sure the guilt of ending her parent had gotten to her and she was trying to use the only way to end this madness without murdering him in cold blood.