Prologue

It is interesting how those with more wealth or a higher position deserve to be treated with the utmost respect. On the other hand, servants have to follow a set of strict rules so they can have a place to stay and a means to provide for their families. They reply with "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" while being degraded by their masters as if they are starving dogs. Even the lowly soldiers at times have to salute the general who will undoubtedly sacrifice any life to save his skin from the claws of death. It is surprising how fast the generals forget that they were once pawns waiting for their masters to move them. They forgot how easy it was for them to be sacrificed without the people of power needing to break a sweat.

One would think that after smelling the stench of hatred, anger and war, they would change their ways, yet my people are of a vengeful, not to mention ignorant nature. They do not care if their neighbour is dying of a disease as long as they are fed. Who could blame them for their corruption? They are not in control every time a sword slashes the enemies' flesh. Or when an arrow is shot through someone's body. They are just trying to survive hunger, illness, pain and my father-in-law's wraith. He massacred millions of people, instilling fear into everyone. My world is named Urush, which means war, and so with that name, violence was ingrained into our brains.

Today, his daughter, Diona, now my wife of twelve years, was left to pick up the pieces he created when he pursued the demands created by his unbounded arrogance. To him, pledging allegiance to neighbouring nations was below his ego. He did not care to see the potential an alliance could reap, nor did he ever decide to stop turning a blind eye to those suffering from insufficient resources and protection. Had he lived longer, I am sure he would have led this struggling nation to its demise. Fortunately, the universe looked upon us with sympathy and granted my wish for his reign to end, giving us this one window to set everything right. Although I feel guilty for praying that my wife's father would perish and would most definitely not tell my beloved, I would be lying if I said that there is not a moment that goes by these past few days that I don't think we are better off without him.

Now, his daughter has a conscience, free of her father's strong opinions and views. Yes, the recently coronated Princess Diona can rectify the mistakes he made and bring an era of peace and tranquillity. And I, her husband, intend to use every ounce of my power to restore the balance my homeland deserved long back.