Chapter 7: Day Ten

"Another day or so and we should be at Lincoln," Joel said as they followed a dirt path through grassy fields.

The path led towards a seemingly abandoned farm house that had its own barn. Their plan was to clear the area and stay the night.

"Finally ..." Ellie whined, "We've been walking for so long I can't feel my legs,"

Matt chuckled to himself as they continued following the path ahead of them. It was still bright, but if they waited any longer and they'd be sleeping outside in the dark. Joel had previously mentioned a farmhouse on the way to Lincoln, when he had traded with Bill and Frank, they would often use the farmhouse as a base before going in and out of Lincoln.

"Hold up," Matt said as stopped, causing everyone else to pause, "Look by the barn," he pointed towards a figure that could be made out.

The figure was behaving erratically and then slowed down before standing there.

"Infected?" Ellie questioned with a face.

Joel hummed, this would slow them down, he had hoped that they wouldn't have to worry about infected out here, "Possibly," he told as he stroked his beard, "Might've wandered out of Lincon,"

"There might be more then," Matt told as he pulled his pistol out of his holster, wanting to save the rifle ammo, "We should move quietly, in case they aren't infected,"

The group moved forward, bending down to decrease their visibility.

Soon, they come close to the outskirt of the farm. The infected they had seen had movement towards the front of the farmhouse and as they moved closer, it was obvious that it was an infected.

"Let's stick together," Matt said as he started walking towards the house.

"If I had a gun ..." Ellie whispered as Joel caught up with Matt, making sure that Ellie stood behind them.

"Not now," Joel chastised in a whisper.

The infected turned towards the approaching group and screamed. It would've been great if they could do it without using any ammo, but, that's a bit late now.

Matt pulled the trigger and shot twice, the first bullet hit his neck and then the second hit the brain, killing the infected.

"There's more!" Joel yelled as he pointed over to the barn as four more infected rushed out of the barn, screaming as they did.

"Holy shit!" Ellie yelled as she fumbled to get her knife out just in case.

Three of the infected rushed over to Joel while one rushed Matt instead.

Matt was able to swifty unload two bullets into the infected charging him, killing it as the bullets were well placed.

Joel struggled as he only managed to kill one before the other two managed to tackle him to the ground, "Joel!" Ellie called out as she rushed over with her knife ready.

"Piece of shit!" Matt cursed as he booted one of the infected away from Joel, allowing Ellie to quickly run close to it and stab it repeatedly in the head, killing it.

Joel wasted no time in kicking the other one off and placing a bullet in its head, "That was close," he commented as he stood up, "Thank you," Joel begrudgingly said as he dusted himself off.

"Not a problem," Matt told before turning his head to Ellie, "Are you okay? Sometimes it's not easy killing them ..."

Ellie nodded her head, "Yeah ... I just ... My heart was pounding and I just decided to ..." she told before taking a deep breath, "Yeah, I'm okay,"