Chapter 5: '80s jams

(Marcel's car - pontiac catalina 1967 for anyone interested)

Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard

Don't You Want Me - The Human League

Word up - Cameo

---------------------------

10:43 am. ETA - 13:00 pm.

"Pour some sugar on me! Ooh, in the name of love!" Marcel and I sing aloud in his car. It's not exactly my style of music, but it so catchy. And if it makes Marcel happy, then it makes me happy. And besides it is his car. We are about twenty minutes into our two hour and fifty minute drive to Button House. Why did Heather have to live so far from Cambridge? 

"Pour some sugar on me! C'mon fire me up!" We sing together in unison, complete with the dramatic hand gestures and all. Luckily, there hasn't been as much traffic as we anticipated, so far.

"This would be a great song to strip to." Marcel says. I can't tell whether he's being serious or not. I laugh along with him.

(C/n) is settled calmly in their carrying cage. Hopefully our little karaoke session won't wake them up. Sometimes Marcel tells me I treat (C/n) like a child and that I'm a 'crazy cat lady'. I honestly don't see what could make him think that...

 ---------------------------

11:30 am.

"You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
When I met you
I picked you out, I shook you up
And turned you around
Turned you into someone new
Now five years later on you've got the world at your feet
Success has been so easy for you
But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now
And I can put you back down too.
Don't. Don't you want me?
You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
Don't. Don't you want me?
You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me
It's much too late to find
When you think you've changed your mind
You'd better change it back or we will both be sorry.."
 Marcel sings in a stellar voice along with the music. "Here comes our duet. Give it your all (N/n)." He says this as if we were actually performing at a concert.

"Don't you want me, baby?
Don't you want me? Oh!
Don't you want me, baby?
Don't you want me? Oh!"
We sing together in unison.

"I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
That much is true
But even then I knew I'd find a much better place
Either with or without you
The five years we have had have been such good at times
I still love you
But now I think it's time I lived my life on my own
I guess it's just what I must do"
I sing like my life depends on it. 

"The way we're singing this right now, anyone would think we're a thing." I joke.

"Ehh, everyone thinks that anyway." Marcel says nonchalantly. He continues to sing to himself (a bit quieter this time). I look out of the window and watch cars full of people pass by. I get comfortable and allow myself to drift off into a light sleep.

---------------------------

12:01 pm.

The scenery on this trip has been quite lacklustre. Mainly consisting of the M25 and plain-old main roads. Not much greenery so far just concrete and small bursts of skinny trees. My neck aches from the uncomfortable positioning I napped in. I always know I'll regret sleeping in the car, and yet I still do it anyways.

The first few notes of 'Word up' begin to play from his phone on the dashboard. I hear him gasp loudly. I peer over my shoulder. Marcel looks thrilled.

"(N/n)! This is my song!" 

"Yes, I am aware. You sing this at least twice a day." I rest my chin on my hand.

"How could I not? It's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

A sigh escapes my lips. I close my eyes again, hoping the drive will go quicker that way.

"Yoh pretty ladies around the world
Got a weird thing to show you,
So tell all the boys and girls.
Tell your brother, your sister
And mama too, cause they're
About to go down
And you'll know just what to do." He continues to sing anyways.

I turn my head around to check on (C/n). "Are you doing okay back there, baby?"

(C/n) meows at me. I find that absolutely precious.

"(Y/n) (L/n) age ninety-five, found dead in her mansion filled with hundreds and hundreds of cats." Marcel rolls his eyes.

"Very funny. I know you're just jealous of our strong bond." I cross my arms melodramatically.

---------------------------

12:56 pm.

My body jolts and I sit up swiftly. Marcel pulls his hands away from my shoulder. The concrete roads filled with rows and rows of cars are replaced with thick bushes, vast fields and falling leaves. It seems like we're no longer on the M25. Thank God! 

I check the time, "Are we close?"

"Uhh yeah, I think so. I'm pretty sure..." He turns off into a narrow lane. "This is it. Maybe?" He seems a little unsure.

And suddenly, I get this odd feeling. Sort of overwhelming. Everything seems... Vaguely familiar?

"Oh, my God. This is so strange..."

"What is?"

"I feel like I know the place already. This road. Every tree. It's like I've been here my whole life. But I haven't. Maybe in a past life, perhaps? Oh, It's just wonderful. Like its.." I'm at a loss for words.

"The wrong place?" Marcel stops the car.

"Yeah. Looks nothing like the pictures. That's definitely a seventies build. That's way too modern compared to Button House."