Chapter One

When you want to do something but your body does not, you're pretty much in for a bad mix. And seasickness is one of them.
   I've always wanted to go on a cruise with my parents for a family vacation. Some would probably think that sort of ironic living near a shoreline. Would r a person want to visit dry land instead of the open ocean where they technically lived every day of their life?
   Being a person who loved to swim and enjoy the sounds and beauty of the ocean, I'd never been on a ship-much less a fishing boat-as I'd only watched them. I wanted to enjoy the luxury, the fun, the ocean with its salty breeze and long moments with my parents.
   But it seemed my new experience had not been officially tested as it should've been before this engagement. Although it was a calm sea and the boat was so large that it seemed rock solid, my body and mind were not one right after an hour of being aboard. I'd nibbled on something, thinking it was just my excited nerves, but that only made me feel worse.
   I had finally given in to lying down on the bed in my cabin, but my mind began envisioning water beds and that only worsened my conditioned state that I was now having and getting highly aggravated with. It was ruining my planned vacation. I was a swimmer who loved the sea and stayed in pools, for goodness sake!
   Moaning in anger at my predicament, I got up-unsteadily and bumping into the dresser that seemed to somehow move on me-grabbed my bottled water and a few saltines and began to make my way to the upper deck. Maybe some fresh air would do me good-and I'd just throw up over the rail if I couldn't hold it down. In a stumble, I progressed out of the room, down the hall and took the stairs as best as I could without stumbling down or cracking my knee. Although unwise of me due to no attendance if I hurry myself badly, I didn't want to be stuck in an elevator with other passengers. I was avoiding every possible incident that I could.
   I finally reached the last stair step and exited into the bright sun. I stumbled to the rail, noting a couple narrowly dodging me in my state. I squinted against the sun as it's rays grew as it set. It would've been a beautiful sunset if I could focus on it.
   "You all right, madam?"
   I turned my head to see a young man beside me, not in his teens but still holding onto his boyish appearance. By his dress attire, I easily processed that he was a crew member. Although I tried to stay focused on him, his image began to wobble and I quickly looked away, closing my eyes and leaning my head against my arm, trying to breath evenly.
   "Don't have your sea-legs, eh?"
   I didn't comment and I didn't feel up to the task of deciding if he was being funny or not.
   "I had the same issue my first few times out," he continued. He paused and then said, "I'd suggest something to coat your stomach, but you don't look like you feel up to keeping anything down. Maybe some Dramamine."
   I was going to shake my head, but thought better of it. "I don't understand how I can swim without any issues-but I can't handle being on a boat for Pete's sake!" I have a heavy sigh. "Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve medicine or such?"
   He paused then, giving a light "hmm" as he thought of something. "Well, there was something that my great-grandad told me. It might help."
   "What?" I asked, my voice replaying back my tiredness of the entire situation. I just wanted to enjoy my first cruise! Was that too much to ask?
   "Keep your eyes straight ahead on the horizon. Just try it," he encouraged.
   I wasn't really sure if that would work. "For how long?"
   I could imagine him giving a shrug. "I'd say until you find your sea legs again. If not, I guess the ship's doctor might be of assistance to you."
   "Thank you," I mumbled.
   "Good luck." And with that, he left, leaving me to decide on trying his suggested trick.
   With a deep breath, I moved my head up and gazed out at the calm sea. Although the movement of the ship and gentle wind broke the water in several pieces, it was almost like a sheet, a mirror of clearest reflection and the only way you could split the sea from the sky was the fading sun that broke the seam. The only implication that told me I was moving was the breeze in my hair. But the boy's suggestion wasn't working for me-at least not right now-and I wondered if I should call it and remain in my room the remainder of the trip until we docked.
   And then as I turned to go, I saw something.
   Something was unreal to me, like I'd had too much to drink-to which case I didn't even do. Perhaps a trick of my imagination, a play of the sun's final glare on the ocean's surface, perhaps a fish breaching the water did just a second, a dolphin maybe.
   But just as it vanished and I blinked, there it was again— young boy, chest deep in the water, bare chested like he'd done some dare for some other coward too chicken to do it himself.
   I wondered if I should call for someone or shout "Man overboard!" I really didn't know the protocol for such situations-but then again, I'd never seen anyone stupid enough to risk their lives to suffice a coward.
   Before I could figure out where to go for help-even if I could make it-I realized that he wasn't moving. He was staring right at me. How he could see me from this distance-several yards at least-was beyond me, but he was looking directly at me. 
   And just as my eyes blinked, he was gone, vanished from sight without a trace. I searched the distant water, but it was like it had all been a mirage.
   And upon his dashy exit-as little as I'd seen of it-I could have sworn I'd seen a tail . . .