Chapter Four

I was even more sore than I had been the day I hit the cafeteria floor. On closer inspection, I found my back and shoulders with dark yellow and purplish bruises. I let out a gasp in surprise, but knew there was nothing I could do. At least nothing was broken-even if there had been, they probably would've claimed it to me being clumsy.
I quickly put on a thin but long-sleeved shirt and jeans and hurried downstairs to breakfast. As I entered the kitchen, I found the table set, but nothing out. "Grandma?" I called out. I glanced down at Nova's dog dish and found only a few pieces of kibble left. "Nova?" Where was everyone?
As my imagination began to set an image that began to bring panic, I heard the clicking of toenails on the floor and turned to find Nova. I sighed with relief, then noticed a red bow tied to her collar.
"Whatcha got, girl?" I spoke gently, squatting down on the balls of my feet and stroking her neck as she came closer. She licked me gently as I tried to figure out the reason for the bow.
"Happy birthday!" Tia crowd out.
I looked up to see her come through, a round homemade chocolate-iced cake in her hands.
   Confusion crossed my face for just a second before realization hit me. I'd forgotten my own birthday! "Oh, you didn't-"
   "Nonsense!" She said, setting the cake down on the table. "Now, blow out these candles with your wish so we can slice this baby!"
   I smiled at her words and blew out my candles, not really intending to wish for anything. I didn't have anything to wish for. At least not that I could think of. Maybe keeping Aarion as a friend . . .
   Granny Tia cur two slices and put the rest in the fridge, covering it and slicing another "for later". Nova sat, watching us and I could hear her licking her chops, nose twitching at the sweet aroma. But she knew she could have such. Just to be fair, I grabbed a treat from the bag up in the cabinet and gave her a full size Milk-Bone. Her tail swished against the floor and I gave it to her. She took it from my hand, then lay down, getting to work on chomping it as she held it on her paws.
"You really didn't have to do this, Granny Tia," I spoke after I took a drink if my milk.
She waved her hands in a movement as if to brush it off. "It's not everyday you turn a year older. Besides, who doesn't like the excuse to eat chocolate cake for breakfast?"
I smiled at that, taking another bite. "Thanks. It's delicious."
"Don't thank me yet," she said.
"Why not?" I chuckled, suddenly nervous.
She glanced at my plate. "Are you finished?"
I glanced down at my own plate before looking back up to her, my fork sagging slightly in my hand. "Why?"
She couldn't hold back her grin, giving a small squeal as she got up and grabbed my hands, my fork clattering on the table as she tugged me away and outside. She quickly moved behind me, covering my eyes with her own hands to where I couldn't see anything.
   "Uh . . ." I said hesitantly.
"Don't worry. Just walk a few more steps."
I did, my hands balanced out to keep me from hitting into something.
"Okay, stop," she instructed.
I did.
"Ready?" She asked excitedly.
"Uh . . ."
"Surprise!" She cried, at the same time moving removing her hands from my eyes.
I blinked for a moment to regain myself in the growing So Cal sun. Then I looked in the drive. Right beside my grandmother's Pacifica sat a glistening midnight-blue 1995 Saturn SL2 sedan. My mom's "pride and joy". Her first one before Nova and me.
"Grandma . . ." I breathed.
"Do you like it? I had a mechanic check it out and all is good."
I was trying to hard not to let tears escape, an emotion that seemed to be growing in size for a while now. Only I knew, it seemed. I gazed at the car with longing I didn't know I'd had, then to her. "I can't take it. It might-"
"Nonsense! It's waited long enough. Your mama would want you to have it-and no one else." She appeared with the keys in her hand, dangling them in front of me like a beacon.
Knowing that I wouldn't win, I took them and gripped her in a tight hug. "Thank you," I said with a kids to her cheek. She returned the hug.
"Now, get goin'," she prattled, releasing me. "Don't dawdle. You don't want to be late."
With that, I snatched my bag with a quick kiss to Nova's head and hurried out. A burst of excitement unknowingly hit me as I struggled in a haste to get the key in the ignition. The car started with a roaring purr-no sputtering to be heard with a car at that age-and I backed out of the drive and Granny Tia waved farewell.
Memorizing the route the bus took-to which came behind me-I drove my way through the streets to approach the line of parking spaces along the road. I quickly swung into a spot I found, not wanting to agitate the bus driver on his trip in.
I put both hands on the wheel, taking a deep breath as the isle of the car hummed from the steering to my hands. I closed my eyes for just a moment before saying quietly, "Thanks, Mom. I'll take good care of it. I promise."
The bell drawled from outside the buildings and I knew the second wouldn't be far behind. I quickly cut off the car, locking it securely after I got out and ran with my things into the building to my locker. Several students looked my way, but I paid no heed, jamming my unnecessary items into the small metal box and slamming the door. As I turned, I let out a yelp, the items I carried only slipping but not falling from my hands as Aarion smiled at me.
"You scared me," I breathed.
His smile fell only slightly, amusement seeming to cross his face.
"So, I guess I'll see you around?" I asked, though I didn't know why I'd said so with a sudden hope. "I'm sure you know where your classes are by now and you'll find your way."
He looked at me with an expression I couldn't read and yet again I wished that he could speak. Was I that far out that I couldn't read a person without them speaking? Or was I just used to what was directed my way?
   "Later, then," I said and turned to go, walking down the hall to my first class. Little sis I realize Aarion following me. I turned to the classroom door and spotted him.
   "Aarion," I began.
   But his gaze wandered elsewhere and I followed it to find him looking at the pool area again. And this time, I could tell he longed for it.
   "Have you went to administration yet?" I asked.
   His head sagged, a barely noticeable sheepish grin appearing on his face.
   I sighed and glanced at my watch, finding fifteen minutes until class began. If I did, I could take him to administration, then be back in time to grab my seat and wait for class to begin with minutes left to spare. Ten minutes tops. With a sigh, I grabbed his hand and tugged, leading him to the administration office.
   A woman with very curly red hair sat at the front desk and smiled a smile that made me want to shrink back from the door. But Aarion was asking for my help and I was going to do what I could while he still hung around with me.
   I trudged timidly through the door and approached the front, saying quietly, "Um, he'd like to join the swim team."
   She smiled at me, then glanced at Aarion and her smile seemed to falter. It wasn't a lost one, more like a gawking-awe struck thing. I guessed he had that effect on people.
   "And . . . And who are you?" She asked.
   I spoke up. "His name's Aarion Finn. He just came here yesterday. I don't think he can speak."
   She made a small "oh" in understanding, shuffling through papers then. "I'm pretty sure the team's already been chosen, but I think the coach might make an exception."
   Feeling no longer needed, I readied to exit, but Aarion still had a hold of my hand. I tugged and wriggled to get free without drawing attention, but his grip was solid and unless I wanted to get free by falling on my rear end, I was trapped.
   "Ah! Here we are!" She handed him a piece of paper. "Here's a pass for later today, after school. There will be a meeting by the pool area. If you are chosen, you may get permission to swim after hours for practice."
   Aarion took it with a nod. I said a light "thank you" and tugged him on to get out.
   "I hope you feel better!" She called as the door slowly closed behind us.
I sighed in relief, letting my sudden nerves at interaction die off. The only reason I wasn't bothered by Aarion was because he was still new here, not yet tainted. But in time he would be, no doubt and then I'd crawl directly back into my safe haven, possibly locking the door by then.
Classes began and it felt the same as yesterday. Wishing I could hide, Mrs. Fincher making "oogly-eyes" at Aarion every chance she got and Aarion following me around, finding me when he didn't reside in one of my classes with me. I would've thought it on repeat or a sense of deja vu of the subjects hadn't changed or progressed.
At lunch, I found the special to be fish for today. Ick! I'd never liked the thought of eating seafood, much less being a fan of The Little Mermaid movie. I mean, who could eat Flounder? No matter if fish was good for you, I dodged it at all possible, glad for the brown-bag lunch Granny Tia had made for me.
I farted for my usual table, but was jerked back at Aarion grabbed my hand in gentle fingers. I glanced over at him and he smiled with a small grin of encouragement. Giving in, I let him tug me toward the cafeteria with a tray to get his lunch.
The lunch lady put the fish on a plate and reached it toward him over the glass counter, but he didn't grab it. I moved in to help, but then I saw the look on his face and stopped. He looked sort of stricken as he stared at the fried fish, seeming to be green like he was going to be sick. He'd been fine just seconds ago.
"Er, are you okay, Aarion?" I asked.
He didn't reply, still staring at the plate as he swallowed hard.
I glanced at the plate and turned to the clerk. "Uh, he can't eat that." She looked ready to retort, but I stopped her. "What I mean is, he's allergic to seafood. He had an incident"-I glanced back to see his face turning grey-"and he can't have it. Doctors orders."
"Sorry," she mumbled and took the plate off, redoing another with everything but fish. Once he got his drink, I paid for it and headed again toward my table.
Seeming to grow his old-self again, he placed his tray on the table with me and grabbed an unaccompanied chair.
As I got my tomato sandwich and potato chips out, I tuned to him and asked, "What made you sick with the fish? Are you really allergic?"
Of course, I wasn't going to get a response. Frustration settled in me. How was I to communicate in a conversation if I had to guess at everything? There had to be some way . . .
An idea hit me and I shuffled in my bag, pulling out a notebook and pen. I rifled through it to a clear page and shoved it toward him. He looked at it, his chew slowing slightly before he looked at me seemingly dumbfounded.
"If you can't talk," I reasoned, "then you can write it down."
He looked back at it, seeming to debate on it as he chewed.
Then another thought crossed my mind. Being not from here-or the US for that matter-maybe he couldn't write it in English form. I could Google Translate it if it could detect it. But then, if he could understand me . . .
"Oh, you poor precious thing!"
I glanced out of habit, but I knew who it was when the first word escaped her lips. I kept my attention on my sandwich.
"You shouldn't have to eat this! Oh, no!" Amber took the fork out of his hand and dropped it back onto the tray, sliding it my way with such force that it almost slid off the table. I stopped it, staring at her.
She smirked a sinister grin my way, then turned back to Aarion. "She can't afford to give you any better source of food, can she?"
Yet another insult at me. I remained mute, not wanting to make confrontation to what she was digging for. But I didn't escape the notice of Aarion staring at his tray with hunger. Whatever she said was lost as he reached for the tray. I helped him out by sliding it within his reach with a small smile.
"Why do you eve try?"
I looked up at Amber staring at me, hands on hips.
"What?"
"I said, why do you eve try?" Amber spoke. "All you do is mope around, acting as if no one wants to be around you? You're the problem within your own self. Maybe if you wouldn't shut people out, maybe you'd get someone to talk to you."
I could only stare at her, holding back my own words of comeback. Every word she spoke was a lie through her pretty little teeth and she knew it. People like her and Zach were my problem, and after a few attempts of only getting smacked in the face, you stop trying to make friends because the outcome was always the same.
   "Why do you even exist?" She shot at me.
   Losing my control, I jumped up out of my seat. Amber actually flinched as if I was going to hit her and I could see Aarion watching me, a small smile crossing my lips. "Why do you?" I retorted.
   I hadn't realized that the cafeteria had become slightly quiet, but neither had I cared. Somehow, the last words she'd spoken had put a electric charge in me. But I knew it wouldn't last long.
   Amber seemed to know this, as she stepped closer to me, stepping around Aarion's chair without even looking away from me. She smiled wickedly and I waited for the nasty words she was about to speak.
   "You know, not going with your parents seems to be a punishment for you. If you'd had, maybe this life would've been easier for you."
   My breath caught and I think I felt my heart drop away. No words could come to my mind, and even my moment of "bravado" evaporated. I glanced at Aarion, who's expression seemed lost but his eyes spoke sadness as he slowly stood. Amber crossed her arms across her chest, tilting her head higher in challenge, but her smile was triumphant, as she knew she had hit me, hard.
   I fought to not leave the table, fought to hold back my tears. I slowly sat back down in my chair, gripping the table tightly like it was my only lifeline. I picked up a chip, ignoring her.
   "Come over to our table when you're ready for some real food and real friends," she spoke quietly to Aarion before I heard the clicking of her heels grow distant.
   I dropped the chip, just staring at my lunch, my appetite gone. What gave her-or anyone-the right to throw my parents death at me? Shouldn't there be a law against it? No one had a heart if the could do such to another person, especially like that.
   I heard a scraping noise, but didn't look up, laying my head in my hand. A napkin slid into my view on the table and I glanced up then, into a pair of sorrow-filled ocean eyes. I gave a small smile and took it with a small nod, once again trying to hold back my tears at his gesture. I watched as he glanced over at Amber and her table and for just a second, I feared he'd leave me. But it was completely ridiculous thought as he edged close, almost enough to touch, but not to hit at arm length. The warmth from him was comforting to my suddenly cold body. I felt a sense of protectiveness from him.
   Then I came to wonder if I might be wrong. Perhaps I had found a friend that wouldn't change on me, someone who would stay by me without words of gossip to taint him. It would feel good to have to have him with me in this place full of enemies and haters.
Was I asking too much? I didn't think so.
Was I hoping beyond hope for a friend to rely on? Perhaps.
Was I suddenly falling in love? After only two days? Maybe.
But only time would decide the true answer.