chapter one

→ the bad batch; season 2, PABU
→ 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 ←

Daina Amethyst brought the transparent glass to her lipsthrowing occasional glances over her shoulder.

          She sneered lightly at the oddly sour taste that trickled down her throat. The drink was labelled to be a sugary delight, a burst of exotic fruits and flavours...it was anything but, she scowled bitterly with a muted sigh.

          Daina could sense her mind falling into the deep pit of daydreams at the most inappropriate time; her head was supposed to be sharp and calculated, but there'd been too much happening recently. The infinite fear that shadowed them as they were on the run, the iron gripping anxiety that crawled between the bone and blood of the shoulder blades and deprived the lungs of sweet air.

          The vast space of daydreams was safe...peacefully quiet.

          She placed the glass onto the bars counter after mindlessly swirling the pinkish liquid around the rim of the cup.

          "Poisons not typically my drink."

          The nasally voice was too distinct. Daina's back straightened, the weight of her bow pressed against her back—begging to be used. Her eyes flickered from the beverage to the tattered greying wall and eyes of blueness captured the reflection of wine pigmented and electric navy lighting.

          Phee Genoa was an interesting person to put it at best. With an attitude that rivelled that of a sly and annoyingly arrogant pirate she was a true puzzle and an exciting riddle to solve ( at least that was what Daina teased Tech about, which caused his cheeks to madly flush and his tongue to become tied in a knot ), considering her heart's behaviour was a splendid mixture of clever wit and bold kindness.

          Amusingly, Omega trailed behind her like a loyal shadow. Daina analysed her peculiar behaviour around the lady-pirate and couldn't help but allow her lips to pull up into a small grin. Sweet Omega craved the thrill of adventure, potentially a side-affect of being isolated on Kamino for so long, hence when Phee dramatically entered the grand picture with her exaggerated stories that were openly worded like old folk tales and ancient myths—how could she not be gravitated to the song of danger? To the risk of life?

          Daina's hand caged around the strong string of her bow that neatly crossed over her chest.

          She sensed before it happened; the delicate shift of a hand, the whistle of a weapon and maddening chaos ensued. Daina was immediately on her feet, rushing towards the valiant Omega, grasped her small shoulders and pulling her behind a flipped up table.

          "You okay, wonderer?" Daina spared a brief glimpse towards Omega, a sharp eyebrow raised as she unhooked her light bow and secured it with a sturdy arrow.

          Omega possessed the largest grin as she gasped innocently, "That was so exciting!"

          "Exciting?" Daina exasperated, ducking occasional angry blaster fire, "You and Phee were almost poisoned!"

          The medic turned her back to the young girl, fired an arrow—the heavy impact echoed as it lodged itself deep into one of the man's shoulders. A thunderous scream followed as his blood oozed from the wound and stained the matted carpet.

          "Well, yes but, apart from that—it was thrilling!"

          Oh, to be a naive child again.