chapter three

→ the bad batch; season 2, PABU
→ 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 ←

Daina was not subtle when it came to her liking of Tech and Phee.

There was always a small mischievous smirk covering her face whenever one got a pink flush around the other—it was so cute! Whenever Phee 'accidentally' grazed Tech's arm or when Tech leaned a little closer to she her something on his data pad.

It was free entertainment for Daina. And it was just adorable to witness.

Daina grandly enjoyed the taste of another savoury treat as the flavour melted onto her tongue. It had been so long since descent food had been offered to her, ration packs could only supply so much before they felt like bland mush in the mouth.

A groan and a grumble beside her pulled Daina from her busy thoughts. She tilted her head, a curious eyebrow raised, "You alright Wrecker?"

Over her shoulder, Hunter leaned forward—curious about the commotion Wrecker was causing.

"I'm full," Wrecker gasped, grabbing Daina's arm as if he'd fall of the chair with flabbergasting disbelief, "I am never full."

"Perhaps I should do a scan and analyse your stomach, just to ensure nothings wrong," Daina teased, gaze sprouting with playful concern, "I did think you were under the weather."

She carefully leaned over her chair, reaching out a hand. Wrecker pouted cutely and wafted her arm away as Daina quietly laughed to herself.

"I will note the date and time to commemorate such a momentous occasion," Tech dropped his cutlery before pulling out his datapad and speedily typing away.

She and Hunter shared a spare glance. Daina scoffed out a humorous huff, hiding an amused smile behind her cup—finding the intellectual clone endearing; even if he was intense mid-battle and skilfully deactivated a squad of droids or pirates or slavers, Daina would gaze at him with the sweetness of a proud sibling.

"I'm slightly surprised that you so willingly let Omega go," Daina turned to Hunter after placing her cup back on the wooden table, "I thought you'd want a full report on her whereabouts."

"Omega hasn't had many opportunities to just be a kid," He shrugged like he held the entire weight of the world on his shoulders . . . and in a way, he did, "Why take that away in a place like this?"

"I've never seen you this relaxed before," Daina observed, tilting her head curiously, "You like this place."

"It's calm, remote, safe . . . what's not to enjoy."

"And the foods heavenly," Wrecker added, although he seemed a moment away from descending into a food coma.

Hunter furrowed his eyebrows; Daina felt like her emotions was being pulled apart underneath his gaze and displayed so flagrantly, "Do you . . . not like it Daina?"

"I've never had somewhere to call home. I don't want Omega to suffer that same fate," Her line of vision fell on the gateway that Omega and Lyana happily ran through earlier, "I want her to have a stable ground beneath her feet to call home and if this place makes her feel content and secure, then I think staying here is the best option."

"I am inclined to agree," Tech called from his position beside Phee at the vine covered, brick railing. Daina inclined her head in his direction—her eyebrows shooting up before a little cheeky smile spread across her face once she recognised the close proximity between the intelligent clone and witty pirate.