chapter six

→ the clone wars; pre-season 7, 20 BBY
→ 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐬 ←

THUD!

     Daina's toned arms pleasantly strained from the muscle usage as her gaze fixated upon the target; mildly glaring at in with deep concentration and freckled determination.

     On the board, a few arrows landed—a mixture of bullseyes and spaced out red zones. Daina sighed contently, a hint of pride at her improvements. Her ocean eyes glanced downwards, a familiar presence washing her senses; "You're late."

     A relaxed scoff travelled around her. A smile broadened on her mouth.

     Daina realigned the firm string to the corner of her determined eye, "You forget your way?" She teased lightly.

     "Haha," He replied mockingly, "I just wanted you to wait in anticipation."

     She permitted her arrow to soar, "Not much to wait for," It sharply landed on the thin black line between a yellow and red.

     "You're not a brilliant liar, Doc," Daina twisted around—weapon raised and directed towards the centre of Crosshair's tattoo. She loved that ink drawing; although he considered it too simplistic since it was Hunter who tattooed it onto his skin, "Put the bow down, Daina," His fingers grazed her hand as he manually lowered her defences.

     Daina tilted her head, eyeing the slight darkened halos circling the snipers eyes and the strange urge to graze a gentle touch over them—to sooth whatever was plaguing his dreams—rushed through her hand, "Have you gotten much rest recently?"

     "Kamino...is not the easiest place to sleep," Crosshair's tone was concentrated with an aura of boredom; all apart of his unbothered performance...except Daina could read his eyes. Those eyes that delicately followed her, those eyes that burned with unrelenting emotion, those eyes that gradually warped into her favourite view, "War takes its toll."

     "I can get something for you if you like?"

     That's the thing about Crosshair, he was independent to the obstinate bone. His booming silence left a large crater of notability.

     "Cute."

     The duo set themselves up on the black training mat; eyeing each other like stalking prey, both simmering with anticipation...who would strike first?

     Daina planted her feet solidly into the ground, steadying herself, arms slightly broadening as she awaited his attack.

     "Still time to back out, doll."

     Her eyebrows raised at the nickname that was laced in a taunting tone, "Don't be a wuss, Cross."

     He chuckled darkly, lowly, amused towards her pathetic example of an insult. It sent rays of shivers down Daina's spine. And then...Crosshair commenced the charging attack.

     Daina ducked and swung a coordinated leg into his back. However, he turned sharply and grasped her leg between his strong arm and lean side, trapping her there. He smirked—one that appeared cruel but was actually painted with great entertainment, it frustrated her to no end.