chapter five

→ the bad batch; season 2, TIPPING POINT
→ 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 ←

Daina's feet rested coolly and relaxed upon the Marauders monitor.

     Until, Tech approached her in a flurry of a whirlwind and swiftly nabbed her ankles, resting her feet on the floor with a stern expression beaming through his eyes. However; her eyebrows contorted together as she noticed the tripled amount of pacing and fidgeting that Tech was subconsciously committing.

     "Tech, you're going to drill a hole into the floor if you're not careful."

     He twisted around, eyes concentrated on something in the far far distance, "I apologise," He spoke airily as he gravitated towards the spare seat opposite her.

     A silence domed around them; but their was a sense of heaviness in the air, like one of the comrades was dying to babble out words of bundled up anxieties that were caged inside the chest. From the corner of her eye, Daina witnessed Tech hunch forward slightly, his mouth opening—preparing to spill whatever was plaguing him ( his knee jittered restlessly ). However, before he could allow words to escape he closed his mouth, keeping his lips sealed.

     He exhaled tiredly and rose from his seat, a small sense of urgence in his steps as he went to hide in the cockpit.

     She scrambled out of her chair and clutched his wrist, feeling his racing pulse under the pads of her fingers, "Tech...what's wrong?" Asking questions on if he was okay would be useless, he'd dismiss the concern with columns of information and insist that everything was excellent.

     "Daina I..." Something withheld the truth—keeping it fastened within his heart, "No, never mind, it-it does not matter..."

     "Tech, don't shut down," She softly commented, releasing her grip on his wrist, her voice remained calm like the tranquil lapsing of the sapphire ocean as it returns home to the awaiting shoreline, "What's bothering you?"

     Tech visibly swallowed and his brown eyes casted aside, glancing at the dashboard of flashing buttons and powered down controls. Daina watched his shoulders deflate and waited patiently for the intellectual ( yet sometimes too honest ) man to gather his hurricane of thoughts.

     She absorbed every little movement of his; when his gloved hand reached into his back pocket and retrieved a reflective object, Daina felt her own heart palpitate.

     Her own stare fired back at her...the strong and powerful, although miniature, mirror rested in the cusp of Tech's palm—one of his own skilful creations for the sniper; Crosshair, to help him achieve unique and stylised shots.

     "I discovered it when reorganising my room. He complained about them when I first handed them to him...he believed they'd restrict his marksman ability," Tech recalled, feeling the burden of the item weigh against his palm.

     Daina pinched the mirror between elegant fingers, a small smile of friendly reassurance blossomed on her face, "Well, I have a inkling that these became his favourite gadgets."

     Even once he committed to the cursed and retched Empire.

     "I always enjoyed designing and constructing new weaponry appliances, a part of me wishes I could do it more," A mist fogged his eyes. Daina glanced up at him, "I suppose...his absence effected me more than I initially thought."