IV

Turning Point

Adonis

"Did you get the email that coach wanted to talk to us about something today?" Alec's voice broke through the quiet hum of the hallway as he glanced down at his phone, thumb scrolling through messages.

"No, is it important?" I asked, feeling a flicker of curiosity mingle within.

"I hope not. Maybe it's just a follow-up for tryouts tomorrow." Ethan chimed in, his tone attempting to inject reassurance into the uncertainty that hovered over us.

"You guys wanna go see him now?" Alec asked and I shrugged. "I mean, I don't see why not," I replied smugly. Nodding in agreement, I followed Alec and Ethan as we made our way down the hallway, the familiar scent of polished wood and faint echoes of our footsteps echoing around us. As we approached Coach's office, the low murmur of voices drifted out from behind the closed door. Ethan paused, his ear pressed against the rough wood as he strained to catch the snippets of the conversation.

"--can't just let anyone try out for the team! It's a boy's basketball team, for fucks sake!" Coach's voice thundered, carrying a note of frustration that sliced through the air like a knife,

Alec exchanged a puzzled glance with Ethan, mirroring the confusion that churned within me. Why would coach be so vehemently opposed to someone trying out for the team?

"But we have to consider equal opportunities and inclusivity," countered a voice that I recognized as belonging to our guidance counsellor, Alisha.

"Equal opportunities?" Ethan's voice wavered. Confusion swirled around us, thickening the air with uncertainty.

"Equal opportunities? Inclusivity?" Coach's tone was laced with a hint of frustration that sent chills down my body. " This isn't about inclusivity, Alisha. It's about maintaining the integrity of the team."

Alisha's response was calm, yet firm. "I understand your concerns, coach, but we have to consider all possibilities. We can't deny someone the chance to try out based on their gender alone."

After Alisha spoke, the revelation hit us like a slap in the face. "No fucking way," Alec gasped. "A girl wants to try out for the team?" His incredulous laughter filled the air, but I shot him a warning glare.

Coach scoffed. "Gender has nothing to do with it. It's about skill, dedication, and teamwork. And let's be realistic here, Alisha. How many girls do you think have what it takes to make it onto the boy's basketball team?"

Ethan muttered a curse under his breath. "This is serious if coach actually considers this."

"Like hell," I grunted.

Alisha's response was unwavering. "We won't know unless we give them the opportunity to prove themselves. Besides, denying someone the chance to try out based on assumptions about their abilities is unfair and discriminatory. Principle Barton agrees."

The principal agreed to this?

"Fine. I'll give her the chance to try out, but I won't make any promises on putting her on the team." Coach's final words hung in the air, a heavy cloud of uncertainty settling over us. I exchanged a glance with Alec and Ethan, the tension palpable between us.

"Good, I'm glad we can come to some sort of agreement. I'll check up with you in two days' time." As footsteps neared the door, Ethan and Alec instinctively backed away, creating a semblance of space between us and the impending confrontation. The door swung open, revealing Alisha's satisfied expression as she stepped into the hallway.

"Hello boys," she greeted us with a smug smile, her tone laced with a hint of superiority. We exchanged curt nods in response, our discomfort palpable in the air between us. "Good luck at tryouts," she added before she walked away, her heels echoing with every step she took.

We turned our attention back to coach, who remained seated behind his desk, his demeanour unreadable.

"Come in, boys." We walked in and Alec closed the door behind him. We stood there in front of coach in disbelief, none of us daring to say anything.

"You're wondering why I called you guys in, it was not because of what happened just now, although, that is another discussion," Coach began, his voice measured as he leaned back in his seat. "I wanted to take the time to inform you three, especially you, Adonis," my name hung in the air, heavy with anticipation as I met Coach's gaze, a knot forming in the pit of my stomach. "Your grades need to be above a C average in all classes, or else you're off the team," he finishes.

"We can do it, coach, no worries," Ethan, ever the optimist, was quick to offer reassurance.

"Good, good." Coach's voice cut through the air, his tone carrying a weight of impending tension. Alec, Ethan and I exchanged a knowing glance, silently acknowledging the tension within the room. Who was

going to bring up the question?

"So, who's the girl thats trying out?" I spoke, breaking the heavy silence. Coach shot me a look before answering, "Her name is Imani Okoye. She's a new student who transferred from Oak High."

Imani

The name rang a bell from my first-period English class. Regardless, she didn't strike me as someone who could handle the intensity of the court's game.

"What if she's good? Would you consider putting her on the team?" Alec's question redirected my attention back to coach, awaiting his response.

"I'll do what's best for the team." He shrugs and I mentally groan.

"Coach, think about it. If we have a girl on our team, that would make us a laughing stock. Were already good enough as it is, we don't need to draw that type of attention." I argued internally, but he dismissed my concerns with a casual wave of his hand, silencing me.

"Like Alisha said, I have to be fair. If she's good, then we give her that opportunity. That is what tryouts are for, is it not?" He challenges. My lips formed a thin line as I nodded in agreement.

"You're right. Sorry for arguing." I pressed, turning on my heel walking towards the door. Alec and Ethan following. "See you at tryouts,"

"So, what do we do now?" Alec's voice pierced through the silence, his expression troubled.

I chewed on my bottom lip, grappling with the gravity of the situation. "We can't let this happen," I chimed in, my tone edged. "We have to make sure she doesn't make the cut."

My words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of my intentions.

"But, what if she's actually good?" Alec's question sparked a sense of doubt within me, but I quickly brushed it aside.

"She shouldn't be allowed to try out," the conviction in my voice unwavering. "It's as simple as that."

Ethan's brow furrowed in contemplation, his gaze probing. "What do you mean, Adonis? Shouldn't everyone be given a fair chance?"

I shook my head, dismissing his naivety. "This isn't about fairness, Ethan. It's about maintaining integrity of the team."

Alec's frustration brewed quietly underneath, "I'm gonna have to agree with Ethan. If she's got skills, she might be able to help us beat Loyola for the championships."

Ethan nodded in agreement, his expressions serious. "Yeah bro, we can't let our assumptions cloud our judgement. We have to give her a fair chance at tryouts."

I scoffed, feeling my patience wearing thin. "Fine, but if she embarrasses herself out there, it's on her," I muttered.

A malicious smirk tugged at the corners of my lips as I entertained the thought of sabotaging her efforts. After all, the success and dominance of our team were non-negotiable, and I would go to any lengths to make sure that remained the case. Let her try out if she wished, but she would soon discover the hopelessness of her aspirations in the face of my determination