Chapter 3

The business conference dragged on, each presentation blending into the next as Regina tried to maintain her composure amidst the sea of snobby CEOs. Their polished façades and condescending remarks grated on her nerves, but she knew how to play the game.

As the day wore on, Regina couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. It started as a prickling sensation at the back of her neck, but soon grew into a full-blown paranoia. She glanced over her shoulder multiple times, but each time found nothing out of the ordinary.

Finally, the conference came to an end, and Regina made her way out of the building, her senses on high alert. She quickened her pace, the feeling of unease intensifying with every step.

By the time she reached her apartment building, Regina's heart was pounding in her chest. She fumbled with her keys, her hands shaking slightly as she unlocked the door and stepped inside.

The relief she felt at being home quickly dissipated when she realized the feeling of being followed hadn't left her. She glanced nervously around the empty lobby, half-expecting to see someone lurking in the shadows.

Shaking her head, Regina brushed off the sensation as nothing more than her overactive imagination. She was just tired, she told herself, worn down by the stress of the day.

But as she rode the elevator up to her floor, the feeling persisted, growing stronger with each passing moment. She couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

When she finally reached her apartment and stepped inside, Regina felt a wave of relief wash over her. She quickly locked the door behind her, her heart still racing in her chest.

With trembling hands, she poured herself a glass of wine and collapsed onto the couch, the events of the day replaying in her mind. She tried to push aside the nagging sense of unease, telling herself it was nothing more than paranoia.

But deep down, Regina knew something wasn't right. She couldn't shake the feeling that she was being hunted, that danger lurked just beyond her doorstep.

Just as she was about to settle down for the night, her phone rang, startling her out of her thoughts. She glanced at the caller ID and saw the name Christopher Grant displayed on the screen.

Regina hesitated for a moment before answering, her voice cautious. "Hello?"

"Reggie, darling, how are you?" Christopher's voice was warm and familiar, but Regina couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension that settled over her like a dark cloud.

"I'm fine, Chris," she replied, forcing a smile. "Just tired after a long day."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before Christopher spoke again, his voice tinged with concern. "Reggie, I know we don't talk as often as we used to, but I wanted to check in on you. You've been on my mind lately."

Regina's heart skipped a beat at his words. Despite everything that had happened between them, Christopher still cared about her. It was a comforting thought, but one that only served to deepen her sense of unease.

"I appreciate that, Chris," she said, her voice soft. "But I'm fine, really. Just dealing with some work stuff."

Christopher sighed, his disappointment evident in his tone. "Reggie, there's something else I wanted to talk to you about. It's about Daniel."

Regina's heart sank at the mention of his name. Daniel, her childhood friend turned bitter enemy. They had once been inseparable, but a falling out in their teenage years had driven them apart.

She brushed off Christopher's concerns with a wave of her hand. "Chris, we've been over this before. Daniel and I are done. There's no point in rehashing the past."

Christopher's voice softened. "Reggie, I know you two have your differences, but you're family. And family is worth fighting for."

Regina's patience was wearing thin. "I appreciate your concern, Chris, but I have to go. Goodbye."

With that, she ended the call and tossed her phone aside, her mind still reeling from the conversation. She couldn't understand why Christopher was so insistent on reconciling with Daniel. Didn't he understand that some wounds ran too deep to heal?

As she settled into bed, Regina couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her insides. She tossed and turned, her mind racing with thoughts of the mysterious message and the looming threat it represented.

Eventually, exhaustion overtook her, and she drifted off into an uneasy sleep, her dreams haunted by shadows and echoes of a past she couldn't escape. And as she slept, fear gripped her heart, leaving her to wonder what the future held for her in the cold light of day.