New Roommate?-Chapter 4

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me," I muttered to myself as I locked my front door behind me. My movements were sharp and my hands were shaky. As annoying as this whole situation was, I was still scared; scared of what his true intentions were. My apartment was dark, the only light came from the grand full moon casting a soft silver glow to my tranquil living room. It would have been a peaceful atmosphere if it weren't for the idiot I had taken home with me. That selfish little prick took a seat on my couch, relaxing deeply into the soft cushions as if it were HIS apartment. It was a cocky move for sure, and it pissed me off a little. He picked up on what I had said to myself as I locked the door.

"What? Oh, am I inconveniencing you?" He said sarcastically, with a fake pout on his face. "I could always just kill and replace you, you know." He said with that same bitchy smile, but there was just the slightest inflection in his tired voice that made me think that he might have meant it. I looked over at him, giving him a dirty look.

"I just don't get it," I sighed in an attempt to relax a bit to have a more respectful conversation with my potential murderer, "Just, I don't know, tell me why you are even doing this. You said it yourself that you could kill me right now." I spoke, looking over at him as I leaned my back against my front door. As he listened, I could see the faintest change in his demeanor. He softened up a little, he listened to what I said, and even if it was just the slightest minuscule change, I saw that he cared. Maybe just a little bit. He became a bit more serious as he spoke, dropping the sarcasm. His million-dollar smile dropped just a bit.

"Y/N," he paused for a second. I could only wonder what was happening in his mind. "I wouldn't hurt you." He managed. It seemed like he was forcing the words out like he was embarrassed to say them. He was not used to this kind of conversation. "Please, I just want to have somewhere safe to stay. I messed up." He continued to speak, his disposition continuing to grow more serious and uncomfortable. I felt a bit bad for him.

"Messed up? What happened?" I asked, concerned about him. I had a feeling he wouldn't answer, but I tried anyway. It was the least that I could do for him.

"It's a long story. Maybe I'll tell you another time," he spoke softly. The soft moonlight gently lit up his face as he turned a bit to look over at the clock on my living room wall. Just for a split second, I could see the concern on his face. "It's been a long night. You should get some rest." He said, trying to bring back his usual attitude. Despite his efforts, I could sense that he was feeling more than he was showing.

"Yeah, um, I should get to sleep," I responded, leaving my comfortable spot leaning against the front door. I strode over to my bedroom from across the living room, opening the door softly. I suppose he was sleeping on the couch then. I closed the door behind me and went about my nightly routine once more. I thought about him. What isn't he telling me? What kind of trouble was he in? What did he "mess up"? The temptation of sleep had been creeping up on me for hours now, and I could no longer resist it. When I finished my nightly routine, I went to sleep. My night was restless for sure. It was too hot under the blankets but too cold outside of them, there were some birds outside that wouldn't shut up, and I was still nervous about letting a doppelganger into my house. It is my job to prevent this from happening, but here we are. I have been educated ever since I was a kid about doppelgangers and their dangers, and now I have one sleeping in my living room. What have I gotten myself into...

"Hey, Y/N wake up, uh, made a bit of a mistake..." I felt myself being shaken awake. The voice speaking was no doubt the milkman's, but it sounded anxious, which was not like his usual self.

"This can't wait until I wake up?" I asked in a sleepy voice, turning away from him, and shutting my eyes tightly. The morning sunlight shone through my windows, which was also a huge pain in my ass.