Chapter Seven: On the Road

"Alright, mastermind, where is our first destination?" Junior asks me after a good twenty minutes on the road. We had an almost silent agreement to let me cool down after taking home the Oscar at the bank. I guess it's been long enough, and we need to figure out what to do with our day.

"First, I want food. Second, we need a map of sorts to create a 'trip' or route we can attempt to follow," I tell him. I did tell the bank that I would be hitting some major shopping centers and the amusement park; I guess that helps formulate some of the destinations. I pull up a map on my phone and try to see what destinations are coming up soon. Nothing special pops out to me, but maybe that isn't a bad thing. We could find a hotel to stay at for the night and look for another ATM and get some cash back from grocery stores or something like that.

"What are you hungry for?" He asks, strumming his fingers on the steering wheel, following the tune of whatever indie rock band is playing on the radio. I've noticed that he seems to vibrate energy; it's draining.

"I don't care, whatever you like." I shrug. "I think we should pick a hotel near an ATM for tonight and try to get our hands on some more cash. Though now that I think about it, maybe we should hold off on the ATM until we reach a more distinct location. I did just pull out a big sum, and we will be paying for a hotel. Let's stick to getting some cash back from a grocery store."

I can see his smirk from the corner of my eye. What now? "With those brains, you must've been a good student," He says.

"Technically, I am still finishing my senior year; I just do school online," I tell him.

"So you live alone and go to school online. What about social interactions? Isn't it lonely being on your own all the time?" He asks genuinely.

Hmm. I never really thought much about whether or not I'm lonely. What does it mean to be lonely? I mean, I am alone most of the time, but does that mean I'm lonely? Is loneliness missing someone or wanting someone around? There is someone I miss, but I don't know if that's enough to say I'm lonely.

"I like being on my own," I answer honestly with a shrug, "It's safer that way."

He sincerely looks like he is contemplating what I said, "Safer from what?"

I know he's looking at me, but I can't seem to meet his eyes. I know he wants an answer, and it's not like I can just throw myself out of the car to avoid answering him. Sigh. What a pain. "Maybe safer isn't the right word. It's just easier not to have to deal with people or everyday drama. I don't have to think so much about every little thing."

I can tell he wants to take this further, but mercifully, he doesn't press the topic. "Alright, Squirt, let's get back to food. How does the Doughnut Shop sound?"

Our morning is spent mostly focused on directions and driving. We make occasional small talk, but nothing significant. Shortly after two in the afternoon, we stop at a local convenience store before going to the hotel. I make sure to purchase things we need: toiletries, food, a backpack for myself, etc. We also managed to get fifty dollars cash back to add to our growing ransom fund.

The hotel isn't fancy or anything, just a simple chain hotel you often see along highways. They do have complimentary breakfast and two separate beds. I request to shower first and take plenty of time to wash away as much of the nerves and anxiety of the day as I can. It honestly feels like the extra social interactions and scheming have stuck to my body like a paste, adding to the overstimulation I feel. Sadly, I realized all too late that I should have bought some more clothes while we were at the store. It feels disgusting to put on the same clothes I wore yesterday.

I step out of the bathroom and see Junior asleep on the right bed. I guess he didn't get enough rest sleeping in the car last night. I didn't really either; it was hard to get comfortable. He fell asleep on the blankets like he just laid down and crashed. I open the closet door and look for a throw blanket. Hotel rooms are often a little chilly, at least I think so. I cover him up before sinking into the left-side bed and drifting off to sleep.