Chapter Twelve: In the Sky, Just Not How I Pictured

Today I am at least granted one of my requests, even though it's not the one I would prefer. After our little shopping trip, we made our way to one of the state's biggest attractions: Skyland Amusement Park. It's not the biggest amusement park in the country, nor does it have any infamous attractions, but for the people who live here, coming to this amusement park is a summer staple. Thankfully, it's not summer yet, and it's a weekday, so the park won't be nearly as crowded. I also manage to convince Junior that we don't need to spend all day there and can just go for a few hours in the evening. In true man-child form, he pouted before agreeing.

I've taken notice that Junior and I both handle comfortable silence well. Neither of us forces conversation or tries to fill every moment of our time together with something. I even spent the morning quietly planning what stops we can make on this trip and connecting ATMs and hotels along the way. Searching for tourist ideas in my state online proved to be the most helpful way to coordinate our plan. I'm glad I decided to keep one of the notebooks we donated. I also made sure to nap before we go to prepare for the onslaught of stimuli.

To my surprise, the park isn't even as crowded as I thought it would be. It actually looks different with fewer people around than I remember from my early childhood. This place used to feel like magic when I was little. Now, it just kind of stings with old memories and enviable joy on the faces of people passing by. We buy a small book of tickets since we won't be here long and grab one of the park maps to figure out what we want to do.

"I vote we stick to the classics!" Junior says, studying the map, "The Music Train is a must, and the best time to ride a Ferris wheel is at night!"

I roll my eyes; the best time to ride rides is never. Either way, I also try to pinpoint something for us to do, "How about the Flying Swings? It's probably cool at night as well."

"Now you're thinking!" I'm thinking if it releases some of your pent-up energy, my life will be easier. "There are some other rides in that part of the park that are usually cheap; wanna pick some as we go?"

I agree and follow his lead. He wants to save the swings and Ferris wheel for last so the park is lit up and the stars are out. The sun is only starting to set now, so it's gonna be a little bit. One of the first things we see is a lazy boat ride. There's really nothing special to it. You ride in a boat through a small channel, which takes you around some of the attractions. Sometimes, you catch glimpses of birds and ducks playing in the ponds that are placed nearby for decorum. Other than Junior trying to initiate a splash battle, the ride is uneventful. The setting sun was the highlight of the ride, it painted beautiful purple, pink, and red hues across the sky.

Junior elects to take us to the bumper cars before we go to the Music Train. I already don't love where this is going or the fact that we are the oldest persons in line. A mini army of children look like ants standing near Junior. Thankfully, the wait time is minimal, and I grab whatever car the children aren't racing towards. The cars glide across smooth flooring and are anchored to the ceiling with a pole, likely so they don't topple over when someone bumps into you. Now that it's getting dark, the neon lights on the cars are on, and the atmosphere is brightened with all kinds of vibrant colors.

They stop the music once everyone settles into their cars and begin the countdown. I find the 'gas' peddle and grip my steering wheel, hoping to avoid the crowd and stay on the outside of the action. There's a traffic light indicator making its way from red to green, and the chaos begins.

Some of the soldiers from the mini army are screaming war cries as they bob and weave to hit their friends like missiles. Others are cackling maniacally like satan himself has sent them out on a mission of mass destruction. I don't remember being this lively as a child, but if this is normal, then Junior is starting to make more sense to me.