1장

"You good-for-nothing! Do something about your grades, will you? You've made me lose my face!" 

Pain shot through Ari's scalp as her mother tugged at her hair shouting at the top of her lungs. 

"Do you know how much Hyun Sook's daughter scored in the mock? She says her daughter studies 18 hours a day!" 

"Eomma," Sometimes, she felt like her brother was the only one who genuinely cared for her. "Keep it down, please."

"Soobin-ah is this a joke to you? CSAT is around the corner! What is this darn punk even going to do?"

He sighed and signaled their mother to come out of the room. 

"I'll see to it that she studies more. Besides, her grades aren't that bad." 

But their mother wasn't ready to hear a single word. "My life is in ruins because of that ignorant brat! You actually think she'll now listen to you?"

"She says she doesn't want to study medicine, right? Why are you forcing her to take after me?"

Soobin knew. The moment he'd bring this up, their mother would stop.

Their parents never really cared about Ari's choices. To them, she has to obey whatever they'd opt for her. 

Even if it was something she was worst at.

"Tell that thing she is not getting anything for dinner. And go downstairs. Your Appa was calling you." She slammed the door shut and left.

This happened almost every day. Every day, their parents would cause a ruckus- they fought among themselves or took their anger out on Ari. 

Soobin's patience was running thinner day by day. He was a med student and had to study. They didn't understand that. 

"Does it...hurt? Should I bring you some ice?" 

He sighed before asking her about her head. The way their mother pulled her hair, it'd have pained a lot, he thought. 

"No." She was quick.

"Ari, can't you try harder?" He caressed her head before adding, "I mean I know you hate Math but trying won't do you any harm." 

Ari brushed his hand away. She was too accustomed with the pain to have a soothing. 

"Oppa...don't. You'll only make feel more hopeless if you do this." 

He parted his lips to say something but thought it was useless. Sighing, he got out of her room.

It was when he left that she felt the tightening in her throat. Tears streamed down, slow but relentless. 

She was a loser. 

She had lost her halmeoni at thirteen. 

And she'd been losing ever since. 

Sniffling, she slowly slid the green button of her phone which was ringing.

"The fuck is it, Gyu?"

------------

Hey! So I made my chapters short this time. Thank you for picking my book. I hope this journey is beautiful. Don't forget to vote <3

ju :)