𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

Owls hooted overhead and the trees cast scary shadows over the path

Owls hooted overhead and the trees cast scary shadows over the path. Dovepaw raced down the moonlit path, her fur bristling and her heart racing. Quick paw steps were heard behind her back. She raced faster each time. Snow fell and crunched under her paws. She scented the tang of MoonClan cats, drenching the forest.

Suddenly the trees rustled and a lithe brown tabby tomcat with bright green eyes jumped down, rounding on Dovepaw. Dovepaw screeched as a warrior jumped on top of her and sunk their teeth into her throat. Blood washed over her fur and she collapsed, fighting for breath. The brown tom pinned her down. She kicked at him with her dying strength. "No reason to fight, little one," the Sparrowfeather growled. "You are already dead now."

Dovepaw gasped and shot upward in her nest. She looked around, bristling. No MoonClan warriors. Good. She saw the other apprentices were sleeping peacefully in their nests, oblivious to Dovepaw's panicked actions. Outside, birds were singing and the trees were swaying. Snow was falling softly on the ground. The sun was barely up yet, and the dawn patrols would be out soon. Memories of her dream whirled in her mind. She had been having dreams like that ever since they arrived in their new camp, a moon ago. She looked outside again. Mousepaw was sitting beside the den entrance, unmoving. It was very odd for a cat as outgoing and energetic as her. Dovepaw limped over to her.

"Hi, Dovepaw. It's a lovely morning." Mousepaw sounded wistful, unlike she usually did.

Dovepaw looked up at the sky. It was a brilliant mix of the most beautiful oranges, pinks, and blues. The wind was gentle and whisked through her fur. "Yeah."

"Something's troubling you," Mousepaw observed, flicking her tail over Dovepaw's flank. "You can tell me. The other apprentices are asleep."

Dovepaw took a deep breath. "I've been having these dreams of MoonClan. And last night . . . I dreamed of Sparrowfeather. He and some MoonClan warriors killed me a-and . . ." She trailed off, not knowing what to say. All she had on her mind now was the fact that no one believed that Sparrowfeather was really evil. "I need to help the Clan, but no one believes me!"

"What about Badgertooth?" Mousepaw tilted her head to the side. "And Lynxstar? And Tawnyflight and Owlheart? I'm sure they'll believe you."

"I know that they won't want to believe me because they know that Sparrowfeather is a great and loyal warrior. He has charms, too."

Mousepaw nodded, glancing at the warriors' den. "You never know until you try. I think Tawnyflight would believe you. Haven't you asked her?"

"I didn't think of that," Dovepaw mused. "But I'm sure that she wouldn't have much to say about it." She flicked her tail impatiently.

"Did I hear someone call me?" That was Tawnyflight. She walked out of the warriors' den. "Oh, good morning, you two. Is something wrong? I heard you two murmuring over here."