The Day I Was Overcome With Colors

My vision cleared, and I was standing in my granmam's kitchen. Dylan leaned against the kitchen table, wearing a three-piece suit. Streamers and balloons were decorating the kitchen.

Beside Dylan stood his Japanese half-sister, Kira, in a black cocktail dress. I hadn't seen her in years but recognized her from pictures. Then, a future version of me swept into the room. 

I looked slightly older, maybe twenty-two or twenty-three. My hair was longer, and I wore a long silver and gold dress. 

"You're a vision," Kira said, pushing a blue streak of her hair behind her ear. "Every giant will be jealous."

"Is everyone meeting us at Redwood or the Ethesis estate?" The future version of me asked. 

"Your brother called ahead and told us Victor is expecting us all at Nikone," Dylan said. "And Moreno is already there with his entire family."

"I'll tell the rest of the family," Kira got up and headed towards the living area. 

Dylan stood up and grinned. "You nervous? Cause I have the keys to an ATV, and we can blow this popsicle stand. You don't even have to get married at the wedding of the century today. Moreno would understand. You guys can elope later."

My eyes grew big as I stared at the future me. My cheeks burned. Here I was in a vision, wearing a wedding dress, hours away from walking down the aisle with Moreno. 

"You still hate him, don't you," future me laughed. 

Dylan winced. "I mean, he's stealing you away forever. How do you want me to feel?"

My future self laughed. "Be happy. I'm getting married, Dylan. Sure, it's a big political statement to everybody else, but to me, this is just a day I'm making a commitment to my life partner."

"Wish it wasn't a circus," Dylan said. "But if Moreno really makes you happy..."

Future me laughed. "There's no If, Dylan. Moreno makes me better. I love him."

As the vision broke up, I could feel my present cheeks burning. In a moment, I was back at Moreno's bedside. 

He grasped my hand tighter. "Terri, Terri?"

"I'm here," I said. "Sorry, I had a vision. Just so you know, your future is lovely."

He chuckled. "I don't deserve that."

"Never say that," I said. "Rest. I'm right here with you. Tell me what you see."

It was nice not to be the one trapped in vision for a change. Here, I was able to stretch out my hand and help someone else. 

Moreno groaned. "My brother and I are at the ballpark with my father. Enrique is playing, and I'm sitting in the stands with Horus. He's laughing, and I'm happy I have a full belly because he bought me a hot dog."

"Your brother played baseball?" I asked. 

"Sometimes," he said. We couldn't afford him to play on a team, but there were neighborhood kids who played on Sunday nights. My father wanted to cheer him on. Enrique was excited, and I was glad Horus was around."

He'd told me how much he hated his father. Now, he was stuck inside the memories when he admired and adored him. 

I squeezed his hand back. "It's okay to be angry that your father threw away everything."

"And yet," Moreno's voice was pained, "I still miss him. Our family. Everything we could have been before my mother died."

"I almost wish I missed my mother," I said. "Or at least cared she was gone. Sure, she tried to kill me, but even before I met her, I never wanted her in my life. My dad is everything I've ever needed."