The Shapeshifters-8

VIII:

"Must you leave so soon? The entire kingdom is ready to throw a celebration in your honor," Beckett asked Altan as the latter loaded up the last crate of supplies onto his sailboat. "Nah, just invite the lords from the two other kingdoms to celebrate" Altan replied "I'm sure they're good company".

    Beckett laughed and said "You haven't met them, they'd rather drink their lives away than settle matters among their kingdom"

"Then maybe you'll help them change their ways?" Altan inquired

"Do you think a celebration will help with that?".

The two laughed heartily and patted each other on the back. As Altan stepped onto the pier looking out onto the vast ocean of the world he turned back around to Beckett and said "Oh yeah before I go I have something for you". Altan handed Beckett a small box of something and told him "I saw the way you were looking at Shani, and I'm pretty sure you convinced her to stay here so you could court her". Beckett opened the box and inside it was a gold ring with Zhenanian engravings all over it (Zhenan is the country Shani is from if you forgot you dementia-ridden idiot).

"You assume too much," Beckett said, smiling like an idiot "But you are too right, what do I owe you?". Altan placed a hand on Beckett's shoulder and said "Just pay me something next time". Beckett nodded and the two gave one another a forearm shake as a goodbye. Beckett rode back to Kod on horseback, to get down on one knee and propose to Shani. Altan sailed west to Sirah, hoping to find the Oracle Of Delphi so he may learn what the gods have in store for his future.

THE SHAPESHIFTERS-END