⦗ 𝟎𝟒 ⦘ the world will burn

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 - the world will burn

               𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓'𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐘 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐈𝐑, echoing like the distant reverberations of shattered glass

               𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓'𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐘 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐈𝐑, echoing like the distant reverberations of shattered glass. Her gaze remained steady, but the corners of her lips twitched.

     "Am I a player, Alicent?" Azriel asked, his voice dark and husky. "I suppose it depends on your perspective. Some may see me as a spectator, while others might think of me as a master puppeteer, pulling strings and influencing events from the shadows," he paused, allowing her to digest his words. The tension in the room was palpable, yet it seemed to heighten their awareness of each other.

     Alicent stared back at him, trying to discern the truth behind his words. Was he genuinely detached from the world of power and manipulation, or was he simply playing a deeper game than anyone could ever imagine?

     "I suppose," she said at last, "that the truth lies somewhere in between. You are a player in your own right, even if you are not actively engaged in the games that consume us."

     As if on cue, their eyes met, locking in a heated exchange that seemed to last an eternity. At that moment, all Azriel could see was the intensity of her gaze, the fire in her eyes that mirrored his own. It was as if they were sharing a secret, one that neither of them had spoken aloud.

     "I know why you are here, Shadowsinger."

      He said nothing, his expression unreadable, but his eyes never left hers. "You've been following me, Azriel. You spy on me, your eyes never stray far from me." Her words hung in the air like a thick shroud, and Azriel could feel the weight of her gaze, piercing through the veil of shadows that enveloped them.

     The female played her dagger between her fingers, the glint of the blade catching the dim light of the room. With a fluid motion, she stepped closer to him, the blade of the dagger trailing lightly across his chest. The steel was cool against his skin.

     "I didn't know your precious Inner Circle is so obsessed with me," Alicent continued. "But it speaks volumes about your fears and insecurities."

     The Shadowsinger's eyes narrowed slightly, a hint of a smirk playing on his lips. "You think we fear you?"

     "Oh no, but I know how your High Lord is impatient to finally meet me and how eager he is to know everything about me." The female shrugged dismissively. "Well, I suppose I can't blame him, can I? I've been quite the enigma, haven't I?"

     Azriel's smirk deepened, and her eyes traced the sharp angles of his face. "Perhaps, but don't think you know everything, Alicent."

     She leaned back, crossing her arms over her chest. "How could I? After all, you've been hiding in the shadows, spying on me." A low chuckle left her lips, as she pressed the tip of her dagger against his throat with a swift movement. "And I know about Rhysand's upcoming visit," she continued, her voice laced with a hint of sarcasm.