THIRTY-NINE

JOSIE'S HEAD BEGAN TO FEEL FUZZY WITH THE SOBS COMING FROM both Rick and the baby. The brunette couldn't handle the atmosphere anymore and her world began to spin.

      She immediately snapped out of her daze when she felt someone tugging on her shirt, so she looked down and saw Carl, who wanted to hold his sister. Josie immediately felt the weight difference in her arms when she gave the baby to him, then she looked down at all the dried blood on her hands and clothes.

      Josie teared up once more, but she pushed them back and looked over at Rick, who was caught in some sort of his own daze. Glenn placed his hand on her shoulder, so she looked over at him and gave him a small, weak smile.

      "Rick, you with me?" Daryl asked, kneeling in front of him and waving his hand in front of Rick's face.

      "Let me see the baby," Hershel said, approaching Carl and the baby.

      "What are we gonna feed it?" Daryl asked, walking back over to the others. "We got anything a baby can eat?"

      "The news is, she looks healthy," Hershel explained after examining her while Carl kept hold of her. "But she needs formula and soon or she won't survive."

      "Nope," Daryl shook his head. "No way, not her. We ain't losing anybody else. I'm going for a run," Glenn, Maggie, and Josie all offered to come. "Okay, think of where we're going. Beth?" he pulled her to the side. "Kid just lost his mom, his dad ain't doing so hot."

      "I'll look out for him," Beth promised.

      "Wait, where are Carol and T-Dog?" Josie asked.

      "They didn't make it," Glenn replied as Josie nodded and sighed sadly.

      "You two get the fence," Daryl gestured to Axel and Oscar, who got on the job almost immediately. "Too many piled up, we got ourselves a problem," he turned to the others. "Glenn, Maggie, Jo, vamanos! Get the gate, come on! We're gonna lose the light!"

      "There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85," Glenn said.

      "No, the baby section's been cleared," Maggie replied. "Lori asked Josie and I to keep an eye out. We haven't had much luck."

      "Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl asked.

      "We saw a sign for a shopping center just north of here," Glenn replied.

      "Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road," Josie said. "The car will never get through that."

      "I can only take one of you," Daryl said, gesturing to his motorcycle.

      "I'll go," Josie volunteered.

      "No, you gotta be here for Carl and the baby," Maggie replied, placing her hand on her shoulder. "You have to be here for Rick, too. I'll go. They need you."

      "Maggie..." Josie sighed.

      "Jo," Daryl said gently. "She's right, be here for Carl and Rick. We'll be back as soon as possible."

      "Okay, fine," Josie nodded, then looked in between both of them. "Be careful, both of you."

      "We will," Maggie replied, pulling her in for a hug before she climbed on the back of Daryl's motorcycle.

      Josie watched as Daryl and Maggie rode off and that's when she broke down. The brunette began to sob as Glenn wrapped his arms around her and tried soothing her.

      "It's okay," Glenn whispered.

      "Her scream, Glenn," Josie replied. "I can't get it out of my head. It just keeps replaying over and over again, I- I don't-"