03

" RAINY DAY "

" VENTURING INTO THE WOODS 
TO SEEK FOR WHAT WAS ONCE HERS,
SHE BEHELD THE SHADOWS, 
THEIR SECRETS A BLUR. 
LOST IN ITS DEPTHS, 
WHERE DARKNESS LIES, 
SHE MEETS THE ONE BEARING 
YELLOW EYES. "

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

A mindless hum escapes your lips while you listen to Mika's words.

The familiar feeling of the itchy cloth touches your wrist as she wraps the roll of bandage around the semi-healed cuts staining your skin.

Two days have passed since your encounter with the demon in the woods, where you somehow made it out alive, barely escaping death's grasp. You still had no clue who saved you — the lack of knowledge quite bothering.

Your eyes linger on your wrapped up wrist, something missing.

After your arranged marriage with Ryotaka and before you moved in with him, your younger sister had gifted you a bracelet she crafted. It was a simple but nonetheless pretty accessory. You made sure to always have it on you as a small reminder that no matter how alone you felt in this world, you still had Reya by your side.

However, amid your escape from the demon — when its gnarly claws painted your wrist red with your own blood — it had sliced the fragile string holding the bracelet together, allowing it to fall off, beads and charms scattered.

Not ready to let go of it yet, you could not help but feel the need to retrieve it.

"Are you listening?" Mika's voice pulled you out of your thoughts as you focused your attention back on her.

"Yeah." With a huff, you stood from your bed, making your way to your closet. "Ryotaka wants to meet with me to discuss something. But what?" You pull the doors open, eyes scanning the rows of clothes hidden inside.

"That, I do not know." Mika sighed. "But I'm guessing it has something to do with his family, or work. Seeing how Ryoju is here, too."

You raised a brow at the familiar name. "Jinshoku Ryoju," you noted with a nod. "His younger brother right?" You pulled out a white blouse and a pair of black pants — a few sizes too big for you and threw them onto your bed.

Mika waited outside your room while you changed. When you were done, she accompanied you down to the kitchen before taking her leave, giving you and your husband some privacy.

"I will be leaving for a business trip later at noon and will be away for five days." Getting up from his seat, he stalked towards you, eyes flitting to your bandaged wrist and the fresh scar above your right eye.

"How are your injuries?" he asked, not a hint of concern in his voice.

"They're fine. Thank you." Your voice held an edge to it as your skin burned under his scrutinizing gaze.

Apart from the frequent throbbing in your head and the uncomfortable itch on your wrist, your injuries were healing, slowly but surely.

"Really?" The older man scoffs, lips sneering into a smirk. "Well, just in case they are not fine —" He spoke in a sarcastic manner. "I called my younger brother over to take care of you."

The smug expression on his face told you everything you needed to know. And obviously, Ryoju was not called here to look after you, but rather to keep an eye on you.