Chapter 22

---

Kota could see the stars. They shimmered above him, each one a flickering flame over Valoran City.

Pretty, Kota thought, focusing on the distant lights, forgetting for just a moment he couldn't breathe. He forgot the feeling of gravel pressing into his back as he lay prone where they had left him. Forgot the way the other kids had turned on him when he'd tried to stop them from hurting the small, grimy puppy they'd found in the alley. He forgot everything but the stars, until a soft voice broke his focus.

"Are you okay?"

Kota tried to turn toward the voice, curious as to who'd been brave enough to break up a five-on-one fight. Awareness of where, exactly, those punches and kicks had landed, however, kept him on the ground.

"Did they knock you out?" the stranger asked, concerned.

"Knocked down, actually," Kota corrected her with a wince. Talking hurt.

"But then I figured I'd just stay down here. It's cosy, you know?" The girl laughed, making Kota smile... and then grimace. Smiling hurt, too.

The girl stepped forward to stand above Kota. She offered a hand, and smiled.

"As comfy as that seems, maybe we should get you off the ground? This place is gross."

It was only then that Kota realised he recognised the girl. White hair, prim clothes... It was Eri. Pretty, perfect Eri. Kota had never spoken to her, but he knew Eri had been popular ever since she transferred to Valoran City Middle School earlier that year. The teachers wouldn't shut up about her. Polite, excellent in every subject, quiet. Basically Kota's opposite, or so he had thought, right up until Eri had stormed into the alley. Kota heard her tell all five assailants that if she ever caught them picking on anyone, human or otherwise, she'd personally make them regret it. They fled without another word. Kota was impressed as he was in pain.

"I'm gonna have bruises on my bruises," he admitted.

"You do this often? The fights, I mean, not the losing." Eri smiled.

"Neither," Kota said. "Well, not usually. Sometimes? But they were picking on a- oh, crap! The dog!"

Eri helped him dig through the nearby bins, and Kota marvelled at her willingness to get her hands dirty. Literally. They were elbow-deep in trash and muck until-

"There you are!" Eri said, pulling the trembling pup from beneath a sodden bag. The creature was filthy, more dirt than dog, but it gave a small wag of its tail as Eri held it.

"I think you made a friend," Kota said.

"And here I was thinking I'd made two," Eri mused. It took Kota a moment to understand.

"Me? Why would you wanna be friends with me?" Kota wasn't good at... well, anything, really, unless it was video games.

"Well, for starters," Eri said as she stood, still holding the dog. "I saved you. Figure that makes us friends. Plus, you got your butt handed to you trying to save a puppy. Means you have good character."

Kota laughed. "All right, new friend. What are we gonna do with the dog? No way my mum would let it in the house."

"My dad runs the shelter down the street. I volunteer on weekends."

"Of course you do," Kota said dryly as Eri set off.

"Come on," she called over her shoulder. "We can drop this little guy off, and then I'll walk you home."

"Huh? I don't need a babysitter!"

"You napping in an alley says otherwise."

Kota realised he'd never win an argument with this girl.