jing yuan.

sputnik sweetheart.

Jing Yuan awoke to tranquility and a discernible patter of drizzle through the ominous quietude. He gazed at the ceiling for some time, then pivoted to his side.

His golden eyes perceived as you wallowed in a book at hand and sporadically turned the pages, basked in the mild flicker which the candle on the table emitted, a constricted luminosity against the overcast night sky. Condensed droplets trickled down the windowpane, distorting the scenery beyond.

Jing Yuan shifted close to you. His face nestled on your shoulder, arms wrapped around your waist, 'may I inquire why you're up at such a late hour, sweetheart? Hmm?' Jing Yuan's tone was grumpy, and his breath emitted a salubrious warmth as he pressed kisses on your neck.

'Uh—' you set your book down on the table. Turning towards Jing Yuan, you cupped his cheeks and kissed his forehead. 'Nothing much. The rain woke me, and I was unable to return to sleep.'

'Is that so?' he chuckled. His fingers trickled down your face. 'You should've attempted though, yesterday was fatiguing...' his eyes surveyed the outside.

'Yeah but... I couldn't.' you rolled your eyes.

'Then I shall no further leave you to resume reading in such dim light,' Jing Yuan laid, gesturing for you to lay beside him.

You extinguished the candlelight and tucked yourself under the bedsheets by his side. Jing Yuan drew you closer, your head now pressed against his chest, his fingers repetitively trailing through your hair. 'Sleep well...'