Beginning (Edited Version)

Wei Ying's heart raced with excitement as he stepped through the grand gates of the Gusu Lan Sect. The air here felt purer, the landscape more serene. Gusu Lan was a place of unparalleled beauty and order, a stark contrast to his lively home in Yunmeng. He was here to join his cousins Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng, who had already begun their studies.

As the only son of Omega Cangse Sanren of the Fox Clan and Alpha Wei Changze of Yunmeng Jiang, Wei Ying’s lineage was a well-guarded secret. Only his family knew that Cangse Sanren was royalty from the Fox Clan, destined to become queen after her mother, Boashen Sanren, ascended to the heavenly realm. To the rest of the cultivation world, she was merely the daughter of the immortal Boashen Sanren.

Wei Ying hadn’t presented yet, but his parents were certain he would be an Omega, like his mother, and would eventually ascend as the monarch of the Fox heavenly clan. He had two adopted brothers, Wei Yang (Xue Yang) and Wei Xuanyu (Mo Xuanyu), and his uncle Xiao Xingchen, a white omega fox. Wei Ying, like his mother, was a red-tailed nine-tailed fox. He had heard much about the Twin Jades of Gusu, both alphas, the younger one having just recently presented.

After settling in, Wei Ying sat next to his cousin Jiang Cheng. As he glanced around, his eyes landed on a figure that seemed carved from jade—the most handsome man he had ever seen, even among the celestial beings he had encountered. Determined to befriend the beautiful stranger, he grinned and resolved to make a good impression.

The next morning, Wei Ying approached the alpha with his usual exuberance.

"Hey Lan Zhan, did you sleep well?" he asked, seating himself across from him.

Lan Zhan glared at him, his expression as frosty as ever. Wei Ying found the reaction curious and a little amusing.

"Eh, Lan Zhan, why do you look at me like that? Do I look pretty?" he teased.

"Shameless!" Lan Zhan spat back.

"Haha, Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, say you’ll be my friend. I’d love to invite you to visit my hometown," Wei Ying persisted.

"No plans on visiting Yiling," Lan Zhan replied curtly.

"Not Yiling, Lan Zhan, somewhere far from here. But I can only tell you if you agree to be my friend."

Lan Zhan ignored him, and their days passed in a similar fashion, with Wei Ying’s relentless attempts to befriend him met with cold indifference.

However, everything changed during their last year of study when Wei Ying finally presented as an Omega.

Sent home for a month to adjust, Wei Ying’s absence seemed to weigh heavily on Lan Zhan’s mind. Despite himself, Lan Zhan found his thoughts frequently drifting to the troublesome Omega.

Why do I think of that troublemaker? I should be happy he’s gone, Lan Zhan mused. I can finally have my peace. I should stay away from him, it’s not right for me, as Shufu said.

When Wei Ying returned, he continued to pester Lan Zhan, who maintained his aloof demeanor. One evening, during a night hunt with other disciples from the Jiang, Nie, Jin, Wen, and Lan sects, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying were paired together due to their complementary abilities—though Wei Ying's powers were sealed until his return to the Celestial Mountain.

After battling various yaos and demons, the group decided to camp for the night. Wei Ying noticed Lan Zhan walking off alone and followed, worried for his safety.

"Why are you following me?" Lan Zhan asked without looking at him.

"Ah, Lan Zhan, I just wanted to accompany you—"