Chapter One: Seventh Year

"Sabrina, darling. Time to wake up."

Sabrina Lewis groaned and stretched before she finally opened her eyes. She could feel the movement of the train as she sat up in her compartment, and when she looked up she could see the Scottish Highlands just outside of her window. The sun had begun to set, which told her that they were probably close to Hogsmeade Station.

Her mother, Minerva, was sitting next to her feet as she coaxed her awake. "The conductor said we should be arriving within an hour," she explained as Sabrina further sat up. "I let you sleep as long as I could."

"It's alright," Sabrina responded as the memory of her dream came back to her. She had been basking in the sun, enjoying its warmth as she felt the familiar strong arms of her boyfriend behind her. It had been so comfortable and calm, unlike how her busy summer had been.

Sabrina looked back at Minerva and saw a deep look of concern on her face. "What is it?"

Minerva sighed. "Nothing, it's just...." She paused for a moment as she began to run her daughter's shin gently through the blanket. "I know you're nervous about going back, but I just want to assure you that despite what the nurses said–"

"I don't want to talk about it," Sabrina said quickly, cutting her mother off before she could continue. The thought of being back at St. Mungo's was already painful enough without Minerva having to say it aloud.

Minerva paused again. "Everything is going to be fine."

"Will it?" Sabrina could feel her eyes start to water again.

"Every single woman in our family has had to deal with this. It's just a curse of being a Reese," Minerva explained. "But I'm here for you to help you get through it. And remember, it's not a sure diagnosis."

Sabrina shook her head. "I feel so...."

"I know."

She looked back at her mother. "How do I...." She couldn't even complete her sentence. "How do I even explain it to him?" How do I tell Ominis?

Minerva tried to give her a gentle smile. "Just talk to him. If he truly loves you like he says he does, then this won't matter to him."

"But what if it does?" The horrifying thought of Ominis leaving her flooded her mind.

Minerva took Sabrina's hand and squeezed gently. "Don't disregard him so easily."

Sabrina couldn't help it. She looked out of the window again, avoiding her mother's gaze as she delved back into her mind.

It was hard to believe that a year ago, things had been so very different. Ominis Gaunt had been engaged by his horrifying family to marry another pureblood witch, and even though he had been in love with Sabrina, he had tried in a futile attempt to bury his feelings for her by trying to push her away. If it hadn't been for Sebastian Sallow, their best friend, barging into the Undercroft without realizing Sabrina had been there, she may never have learned how Ominis felt.

Ominis had fought hard to get disowned from the rest of his family, and he finally won after a hard fought battle between the head of the family. It was easy, however, after they had found the evidence they needed to prove that Ominis and his younger sister, Corvina, were illegitimate heirs and not pureblooded Gaunts.

Since then, Sabrina and Ominis felt almost dependent upon one another. She hated being away from him, and every second that she was made Sabrina feel like she might be going mad. However, Ominis had insisted that they spent the summer apart from each other so that Sabrina's parents could spend time with her alone. It had been a wonderful trip, but Sabrina still missed Ominis greatly.