XLII

"This way," Viktas says, guiding Lena forward, his arm still around her shoulders, shielding her from anything behind.

Lena bites her tongue, refraining to ask any questions—thereby giving the indication
that she's seen the guards and Lucifer. Because it's obvious from the way Viktas is acting now that he doesn't want her here. Her silence doesn't mean she's not curious; where exactly are they taking Lucifer? Lena guesses that he perhaps had found himself in a position where he is to be escorted too, but as she waits for the footfalls that should follow them, there are none.

She can't shake the brief image she'd seen: the guards pushing Lucifer forward, his hands bound in suppressors and behind his back, his neck framed by some sort of collar. No matter what the circumstances are, it doesn't seem right.

Viktas leads her silently—and in Lena's opinion a little too tensely—and two quiet hallways later, they are out in the pillared courtyard, the fields and the gate beyond accessible. From the southwest corner, she glances toward the other side where her building is. The structure is as normal as it can get, and it stands tall, looking undisturbed. Lena anticipates that the exchange should already happen—so why haven't the guards interrupted them? Unless, of course... they're dead.

"Your guards haven't returned," Lena points out, desperately trying to make Viktas realize there's a threat on academy grounds without giving her source away. "Should you check on them?"

Viktas' strict face seems to relax a little, as if he's relieved Lena isn't asking about Lucifer. About Lucifer, that's concerning indeed, but Lena has other, more pressing issues in mind—though the two are connected. He must have sensed her unease, because Viktas replies, "Please rest assured. You should hurry up and return with the dispatched guards."

"But the duel—"

"Will be taken care of shortly," Viktas says smoothly. "Now, if you'll excuse me."

He indicates to the field, waiting for her to leave with a raised grey brow. Lena stares at him for a second or two before deciding that he will not help her. Sure enough, the moment she steps away from him and pretends to walk a few steps toward the gates, she feels the man retreating, slipping away from her—and from any hope at stopping the Shadow Syndicate. When she looks back, her eyes confirm that Viktas turns not toward their junior block, but back inside the southwest wing.

Lena clenches her fists hard. He's doing nothing—and will not do anything—to help. Sure, there's nothing to verify Lena's words, and no destruction obvious enough to warrant any attention, but the Shadow Syndicate... they're here. The crescents formed on Lena's palm through her tightening of fists hurt now, as she lets reality sink in: she is alone. The students have all gone through the gates, the last of the guards checking off their lists. It's not long before they figure out she's still on academy grounds, and will set out to find her.

But they wouldn't come for Lucifer, because the authorities are the ones keeping him in. And in that moment, Lena thinks to fear the government in charge more than the intruding Shadow Syndicate.

Now, whether or not the guards have successfully intercepted the Shadow Syndicate, they will come for Lucifer. And since Lucifer is in the authorities' hands, there will be a definite, inevitable clash between these two forces. In that case, it doesn't seem as if Lena needs to worry; this eventuality will play out whether or not she intervenes by sending the guards up there.

She shouldn't have done anything. All that heroic thought just makes Lena feel like a fool right now as she crosses the lawn, the gates set in sight. She should have just minded her business, thinking about her safety—and indeed, her abilities saved her. Nothing else matters now but getting out of here. As for the Shadow Syndicate, since the government is so insistent on caring about their own business—Viktas has proven that, ignoring Lena's pleas—they can deal with the threat they wish to bury so much themselves.