ii. give or take

CHAPTER TWO:GIVE OR TAKE( 03x06: about face )

CHAPTER TWO:
GIVE OR TAKE
03x06: about face )

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

HE WAS WRITING IN that bloody book again. Dallis contemplated hiding it but quickly decided it was above her paygrade. Instead, she waited for the others to return beside Reid, who stared at Rossi in preparation. If he'd looked up for just one second, Reid would've latched onto it like a dog with a bone, ready to start up a conversation.

Fortunately for Dallis (or unfortunately for Reid, depending on how you looked at it), Hotch and JJ returned not long after they did.

"We got anything?" Hotch asked, doing a double-take when he noticed Rossi's book.

At least Dallis wasn't the only one. She wondered if Hotch would say anything. It was clear they had history. Would Hotch let Rossi's solidarity jeopardise the way his team operated just because they were old friends?

"Agent Rossi pointed out that since the victims are weighted down, it suggests the unsub didn't want them found, which suggests some sort of connection between them," Reid said.

Hotch thought about this for a second, then turned to Yarbrough. "Detective, how long was Michelle missing?"

"She was found on the fourth day."

"So if she wasn't in the water long, then he held her for three."

That meant Enid White had just over forty-eight hours.

Before they could ponder on this and what it meant for their investigation, Dallis' phone started to ring. Fishing it out of her pocket, she immediately switched it onto speakerphone so they could all hear.

"Garcia, my love, you've got myself, Reid, Hotch and Rossi," she said. "What you got for us?"

"Well, my sweet, I've been running all of Enid White's credit cards," Garcia jumped straight into it.

"And?" Hotch prompted.

"She made a purchase at 9am this morning in a sporting goods store in Dallas."

"This morning?"

Dallis leaned forward in her chair, checking her watch for the time. It was a little after lunch, so when their plane was touching down in Dallas, their newest victim was at a sporting goods store? That certainly didn't add up to what they thought they knew.

"What did she buy?" Reid asked.

"A shotgun."

Rossi immediately returned to his notebook. Hotch leaned over to hang up Dallis' phone, leaving them reeling with the new information.

Just what would this mean for Enid White? What if their unsub cracked under the pressure of the media coverage and killed her quicker than Michelle Colucci? Or what if it wasn't the unsub, but it really was her? There was no doubt she'd have seen those flyers when she was walking her dog. If she somehow managed to flee before the unsub closed in on her, she could be out there in wait, paranoid, with a shotgun poised to fire.