{Chapter 21}

{Lucella}

I walked out of the dressing chambers after wearing something comfortable for the night. Tomorrow, I would finally have a look at the castle finances so I needed a good night's sleep. What would I find there?

Well, since they were under the management of Regina for more than a decade, I didn't expect anything good.

After bidding good night to my maids, I opened the doors to my chambers. And what I saw there had me transfixed at the door. My husband was sitting on the edge of the bed, occupied with some books.

Without a shirt.

"What are you doing!?" I shouted before covering my eyes with my hands.

"What?" I heard his nonchalant response. "I don't see anything wrong."

"And I see everything...wrong!" I mumbled, turning behind and leaning against the door. "If you wanted to ward me off, you should've warned me first."

He sensed that I was about to leave and within a few seconds, I felt his presence behind me.

"Turn around."

"No."

"Don't worry, my lioness," I heard him whisper, feeling the warmth of his body seeping into mine. "I won't ravish you against a door on our first time."

"Rysen!" I was furious. "Get away–"

His hand was on my shoulder and he twirled me around before holding me against the door, but I refused to lower my hands or take a peek. It wasn't safe for my sanity.

"Remember how I was frozen to the door on your first night here?"

I did remember. So, seeing me in that gown provoked such a response? I was wondering why he was rooted to the door at that time.

"You're a smart woman, my darling," Rysen said and I could imagine him grinning. "Perhaps the reason why you feel it unbearable to see my body is because you don't get involved unless you're thoroughly experienced."

He was right. I didn't have any experience in romance.

"And neither would you," I retorted, my voice laced with doubt. "Unless..."

"Hold your thoughts," he warned calmly. "The only woman who had even glimpsed my body is you, my lioness. And it shall remain so until my death. I'm all yours, now and forever."

His oath seemed so...charming. Besides, this marriage had to be consummated at some point, even if it wasn't this night. With a deep breath, I lowered my hands and looked up.

My husband stood there, cunning as ever. He was possibly trying to seduce me and I was giving him a chance to. I backed up further against the door, looking away.

"Get dressed–"

"Well, they did say that we are scared of what we don't know," the peacock was trying to throw words which could agitate me. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't swayed that easily.

"You want me to take a look, don't you?" I asked, my hands unclenching. "If I do, would you put on a shirt?"

"Of course," his tone still sounded mischievous but I bit the steel.

And I didn't regret it. Rysen's physical beauty couldn't be explained by words. I glanced at the scar on his shoulder, guessing that he incurred it in the war. It only added to his appeal. Anatomy was something I was used to but it was only in medical books. And that too, I wanted my portraits to look as realistic as possible.