Chapter 6: The Beginning of the New Road

Konstantin felt light-headed. He felt a severe lack of oxygen and his body was in tremendous shock. All he could do was to witness a group of morticians carry him inside. They covered him underneath a white sheet, placed him inside a fridge, and left.

He quivered at feeling death but was incapable of praying. He spoke his final thoughts, "I'll fly past the universe and name myself a star." His eyes closed and embraced his end.

Then his heart thumped. His deep breaths got faster with each huff. His heart rate became stable, and he felt his wounds stitching themselves together.

He snapped awake and found himself on a metal table. The coldness hit his skin, causing him to jump up and drape his sheet like a Greek robe.

He noticed a hooded figure in front of the door. It turned around and began strutting towards him. "Who are you?" Konstantin asked.

"Calm down. There is no need to be afraid of me," the person told him. He was under some sort of cloak, disguising his appearance. Underneath the lightbulbs, his face shone a pure white beard that reached his stomach.

"What do you want from me?" he asked as he stepped away from the hooded figure. "Stay back."

"I'm here to help you. You're going to be okay."

"I'm not interested in donating my organs. Look for someone else to dissect," he said when he bumped into the wall behind him.

"Sir, I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to aid you."

Konstantin found a nearby bone saw and grabbed it and said, "Yeah, I bet you say that to all the corpses here. I don't know what's going on here and I rather won't."

"You don't remember?"

"I mean ... I was at a park and now I ended up in a morgue."

"Interesting. Look, you should know what has happened recently." He bit his tongue, who sought the proper words for the scenario. "Well ... you died."

Konstantin's muscles quivered at these words. He dropped the bone saw and sank to the floor. "That's impossible. That can't be what happened."

"But here we are. I'm sorry."

"So then, how am I still alive?" he asked.

"That was my handiwork. You're welcome for saving your life. Just barely lost you."

"I don't know how to feel about this."

"Don't worry. Most people aren't used to experiencing a near-death. Now then, do you remember anything else?" the person asked.

Still nervous, his words painted a picture that displayed his old life and his struggles. He expressed with passion about his hatred towards that period and wished to never return to it.

"Deep breaths now," the person told him. "You clarified that you have suffered a lot." He hands Konstantin a stress ball. "You're safe now. They can't hurt you anymore. May I ask who you are?"

The boy, having calmed down, replies, "I'm Konstantin Cuppleditch."

At that moment, the stranger threw back his hood. His silver hair glistened along with his beard. His face marked no wrinkles despite his age. He wore a golden robe with brown outlines and magenta pockets with turquoise stripes. The robe also bore a symbol on its left breast, one that Konstantin did not recognise.

"Well Konstantin, I am Afrim! I am one of the founding sensei of the Learning Institution for Potential Success," he explained.

"LIPS? That sounds weird." Konstantin thought.