Chapter 12: The Gold Mine

Konstantin left the school. He was just glad he didn't have to sit with Ayron anymore. Then he noticed two familiar faces running towards him. "Sligo. Ranford. Boy, have I missed you."

"Hey, now," Sligo said. "What's got into you?"

"Nothing. Just had to attend something."

"It's the program, isn't it? Don't worry about it. We're happy you made it." Ranford grunted in approval.

"Thanks guys. I couldn't have done it without your help though," Konstantin said.

"Oh, shut up, you." Sligo light-heartedly punched Konstantin's arm. "Now you're just making me blush." They laughed for a bit.

"So, what were you doing?"

"We figured you could use some more help."

"What more could you give me?"

"You know how to make money?"

Konstantin was curious. "What do you mean?"

"Like, you know how you can get credits to buy stuff for your room?"

"No. I don't think he told me about it."

"Then, come on. We'll take you there now."

"Konstantin." Afrim spoke out. "A word alone."

"Excuse me, please." Konstantin said.

"No worries. We'll wait for you below." Sligo said. They both ran down the stairs to the square.

Konstantin walked up front to Afrim, almost embarrassed to address him. "Yes, Afrim?"

"Void told me he had to intervene some fight you and Ayron were about to start." Afrim explained. "Is that true, Konstantin?"

Konstantin was afraid to look him in the eyes. "Have you seen him, sir? He is so stuck-up. The guy hates me. He called me a starsham."

Afrim looked down at him. "I see. I didn't realise he insulted you. Of course. And that was enough reason to beat him to a pulp."

"Afrim, please understand-"

"I understand perfectly." He sighed in disbelief. "Konstantin, I know things haven't been easy ever since I brought you in. But I expected better behaviour from you than to be a 'INSERT FOREIGN WORD.'"

Konstantin was puzzled by his foreign tongue. "What does that mean?"

"A cowardly lion. You carry a mane around your neck, and yet you would shave it off to fight a donkey."

"But I thought lions were brave. They face danger all the time."

"Being brave isn't about proving your physical strength. It is about being strong to face any problem, even when you're afraid to do so. Even a lion is brave to admit when it is wrong."

"But Afrim. If someone threatened you, wouldn't you want to fight back?"

"Would you kick a table for stubbing your toe?" Konstantin lamented on his question. "INSERT FOREIGN WORD is about learning how and when to be brave. It is a vital skill for navigating in your life."

"I understand, Afrim," Konstantin looked into his doyen's eyes. "Sorry about earlier."

"I'm glad you understand. And it's not just me you have to apologise, you know?"

"Yes, I know."

"Go on then. Remember what we talked about."

"I will, Afrim." Konstantin ran down the stairs.