Chapter 9: Camp Induction

Konstantin struggled to sleep that night. He opened his eyes and found himself in front of his home. He saw two shadows weeping at the front door. Konstantin approached them. He saw a grave placed in his name. He confronted them as they trilled in response. They rubbed their heads against him, followed by purring. They seemed friendly enough. He loved their purring affection. Nothing seemed unusual to him.

Suddenly, one shadow bit his hand. The other bit his leg. They threw him back and pounced. They grounded his arms and bit every place on his chest. Konstantin struggled to get them off. The pain became unbearable as they tore apart his skin clothing and dug into his flesh.

He freed his arms and pushed them aside. They hissed in protest. Konstantin saw his chest gone with his ribcage out. The shadows stood on their hind legs. Their bodies cracked open and out came two huge, deformed versions of his parents. Both carried weighted nets as they swung around as banners, large enough to catch two of the largest blue whales.

They were about to catch him when the ground shook beneath them. A hand had dug into the ground beneath him and was now carrying him away. His deformed parents threw their nets out. The mysterious hand defended Konstantin and took him away. It carried him outside of Earth's atmosphere and out of the Milky Way galaxy. It continued with no delays.

Konstantin saw they were heading towards a massive head in the distance. He heard voices echoing in the dense vacuum. They got louder as he got closer. As the head turned, a cage door was revealed for its face. The hand clenched Konstantin as the door opened. The cacophony of voices and his strangled ribcage became too overwhelming. One voice echoed louder than everything in Afrim's voice, "Please help me. Why won't you help me?" as Konstantin was thrown into the dark abyss.

He jolted awake in the morning with sweat running down his face. A passage of light passed through the window behind him. He got out of his sleeping bag, for his entire body was just as wet. His eyes were droopy, and his joints ached.

He headed for the bathroom next to the front door. A toothbrush and toothpaste, two bottles of liquid soap and shampoo, and three rolls of toilet paper were left for him. He took a quick shower and brushed his teeth.

He got out, feeling more rejuvenated. Catching his attention was a set of clothes hanging on a hook beside the door. A synthetic grey suit was paired with a face mask. The suit's pocket held a fresh set of underwear and a pair of sandals. He read the attached note.

"Good morning!

We hoped you slept well last night with what you had. We want to wish you congratulations on your first year with us at the Learning Institute for Potential Success.

The one spare jumpsuit we had was left for you as a welcoming gift. As you progress, you will receive many achievements with us until we see you fit to sail your course in the world.

Wearing a mask is not required, but we encourage your active participation in our institute.

Thank you for your attention and enjoy your stay with us.

Kind Regards,

The Head of Human Resources"

Konstantin looked back at the suit and thought, "How generous, Afrim." He dawned his new outfit. The match was perfect, with plenty of space. He replaced the underwear inside with the face mask, putting them aside.

He took a moment to admire his new look. The four shades of grey it had complemented each other and were neither too bright nor too dark.

He heard a loud trumpet noise from outside. Konstantin knew that was the alarm and he hurried outside. Through the quiet neighbourhood, he ran. He assumed everyone left earlier than he did, even more reason to hurry.