Chapter 6: A War Hero's Legacy

Click!

The sound of the reacting door-lock echoed through the corridors of the dark, vacant house.

Squeak...!

As the door opened, the subsequent echoes proceeded to break the peaceful silence that consumed the building for the entire day. With a flick of a switch, the hall of the house illuminated with a warm bright glow. The marble and maroon walls glistened, reacting to the sudden shift from the evening dusk. With the hall lit, a female figure stepped through into the foyer casually, slipping off her heeled footwear and discarding them in a shoe pocket positioned beside her.

"*Sigh...!* Heels are overrated."

After a moment of massaging her aching feet, the tired woman stepped forward into the hall. Her long, sleek jet-black hair swayed loosely on her shoulders, a sense of freedom and tranquillity seeping out from her lingering aura. Her formal attire consisted of everything required for a business suit: a simple black blazer over a light blank shirt; a platinum-silver necktie; and matching black trousers. Whilst efficient in appearance for an office worker, the black-haired woman felt uncomfortable and restrictive. In her mind, she could only blame her conditioning to her preferred battle-attire, comparing any formalwear to a straight-jacket.

As she passed the stairway on her right, the woman halted. Her eyes were fixated on the tall, refined mirror hanging on the maroon wall beside her, examining her reflection in detail. She first noticed her half-open, lifeless bright-green eyes in addition to the subtle wrinkles breaking through her light make-up. Her shoulders and sapphire wings were also slouched, feeling as though the weight of the world was dragging her down. Whilst the rest of her seemed acceptable in a sociable environment, there was no doubt that long-term fatigue had set in.

It only begged the question: How could something as simple as every-day life get the best of Terra Nitro?

Considering her lifelong status as the 'High-Rise Mercenary' along with her numerous contributions to Dragora over the years, it seemed abnormal for her to tire out after a mundane day at her dreary office job. In the end, her appearance only proved that the typical everyday lifestyle never suited her, causing her to question her career choices.

Brushing the thought aside with a hasty headshake, Terra turned and opened the sliding door to the living room, overcome with desperation to rest her feet on the sofa. The living room was what anyone would expect for an average home: welcoming, spacious, and comfortable. With a large cinematic screen that was propped securely on the wall ahead; various filled selves, plants and paintings positioned around the room; and leather-bound seats circling and facing the screen: it was the epitome of casual relaxation.

It was at that moment when Terra yawned out, her hidden drowsiness finally breaking out. However, as she eyed up the main central sofa, she found it already occupied.

"Ah! Welcome back, Mum."

Denzo Nitro greeted his mother with an innocent smile as he laid on the sofa, a digital tablet resting on his lap playing an online video.

Terra stood frozen solid; her eyes sharpened as she stared at her eldest son in scorn. Denzo felt a sudden shiver crawl up his spine. He sat up gradually, eyes watching his mother with abrupt caution. Eventually, Terra spoke her mind, her tone dark and harrowing.

"...You're in my rest space."

Denzo hesitated as he realised the purpose behind her all-too familiar glare.

"Wha-...? B-but there's other– AH!"

WHAM!

Before he could finish his response, Terra had lost patience and tipped over the sofa from behind. Her movement was swift, allowing Denzo no time to react before realising he was lying flat on the floor already. Upon adjusting the sofa to its original placement, Terra threw herself on top in a flash. She found her optimum comfort position, lying against the warm leather with her head resting against the fluffed pillow. Feeling everything was right with the world once again, Terra sighed out in relief as she proceeded to rest her eyes.