Chapter 2

*THIS NOVEL IS A WORK IN PROGRESS - ANY COMMENTS OR FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED BY THE READER. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR READING MY WORK*

Chapter 2 

Aurora

After a long day of classes, I finally step into my dorm room, toss my backpack onto the floor, and collapse cross-legged on my bed. My fingers are already dialing William's number for a Facetime call.

He picks up on the first ring, and my heart skips a beat. His face fills the screen, already familiar yet somehow distant. He's in the locker room, surrounded by shirtless teammates tossing around a Lacrosse ball. Laughter and the sound of showers echo in the background.

"I miss you, babe," he says, and his big brown eyes behind dark-framed glasses sparkle just like they always do.

"I miss you too," I reply, my voice catching a little. "Week one has felt like an eternity."

"Have you made any friends?" His hand runs through his hair, a habit I find endearing.

"Just one, actually. Her name is Callie."

William's expression shifts, a mix of curiosity and protectiveness. "Nice. Have you been missing me as much as I've been missing you?"

"Yes, of course," I say, my tone teasing but sincere. "I miss you so much."

"Aw, I miss you too!" Kevin, one of his teammates, suddenly leans into the frame, making exaggerated kissing noises. "I can't stop thinking about you!" William pushes him out of the way, his cheeks flushing an adorable shade of pink. "I'll call you later," he says, his annoyance evident.

"Just a reminder, I work tonight," I tell him. "It's my first shift at The Study, the coffee house on campus."

He waves it off. "You accepted that job? I thought you were joking about wanting to work on campus. Your parents pay for everything. You should focus on your studies."

I frown. "I've told you before, I want a fresh start. I want to earn my own money and make new friends—"

Before I can finish, the locker room door swings open, and a coach's voice booms. "Listen, I got to go," William says, glancing back. "Text me later, okay?" And with that, he disconnects the call.

When six o'clock rolls around, I step through the backdoor of The Study, greeted by a shorter guy with long dark hair tucked under a black beanie. He has a tattoo sleeve on his left forearm and smells like patchouli and leather.

"Hey, Aurora! Welcome," he says, glancing into the busy coffee shop. "I'm Jayce, the one in charge around here."

We shake hands. "Nice to meet you. Actually, I prefer being called Rory."

"Cool, I like that," he replies, flashing a welcoming smile.

Having only visited The Study with Callie a few days ago, I remember how quaint and modern it felt. Chandelier lights, oversized windows, and round wooden tables create a cozy yet collegiate vibe that instantly makes me feel at home.

Jayce shows me around the back, explaining the pantry and the coffee-making process, offering tips on oat versus almond milk. He even mentions the local bakeshop that supplies their daily pastries, insisting the chocolate chip muffins are his favorite. I follow along, taking mental notes, until he hands me my uniform: a black t-shirt with "The Study" embroidered on the front.

Once I change, Jayce leads me to the bustling front of the coffee shop, where the line stretches out the door. I glance around at the typical UCLA crowd—blonde, fit, and tanned. Graphic tees and crop tops abound, and I try to absorb it all while Jayce fills me in on the dos and don'ts of the job.