Chapter 12

Chapter 12 

Aurora 

The rhythmic thwack of tennis balls slamming against my racket echoed through the outdoor campus athletics facility, filling the otherwise silent court. Each swing was sharp and deliberate, a little too hard, but I didn't care. I needed the release. My mind was a mess. Whenever I closed my eyes, I saw Nate, his hands on my waist, his breath warm against my neck as we danced at that stupid football after-party. The tension between us had been so thick, so charged, that after I found out he purchased tickets to Greta Van Fleet, I almost... God, I almost kissed him.

I grit my teeth, sending another ball flying across the court. It landed with a satisfying thud in the far corner. I didn't even like him like that. At least, that's what I kept telling myself. I was drunk. I was mad at William. It didn't mean anything.

But that didn't stop the guilt from swirling in my stomach whenever I thought about it. I couldn't even be mad at Nate. Not really. This was all William's fault—his big mouth, his betrayal. He's the one who pushed me into Nate's orbit when he decided to tell him about my family.

The ball machine whirred, and another ball zipped toward me. I swung harder this time, but the ball sailed past my racket. I cursed under my breath, turning to reset the machine when the blare of a car horn caught my attention.

I glanced over my shoulder and spotted Nate in his truck, leaning out the window with that familiar smirk.

"Nate?" I shouted, pulling off my visor and wiping my forehead. "What are you doing here?"

Nate grinned. "I just finished football practice. And I saw an angry little redhead whacking tennis balls like a pro on the courts, and then I realized it was you. Thought I'd say hi, tell you how much I like that tennis skirt."

Nate laughed. I did not. I narrowed my eyes. "And honking at me was the best way to do that?"

He shrugged, still grinning. "It got your attention, didn't it?"

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the small smile tugging at my lips. Nate had that effect on me, no matter how hard I tried to fight it.

"You need to stop vying for my attention. Aren't you getting the hint that I don't want to give it to you?" I asked, crossing my arms as I walked toward the fence separating us. "Don't you have better things to do today than annoy me? I don't know, maybe buy tickets to another concert or something?"

"Nah," he laughed, resting his elbow on the window's edge. "That was a one-time deal, and you blew your chance. But if you must know, I'm spending the day with my family."

My brow arched in surprise. "Oh?"

He nodded. "Yep. Maybe you'd like to join us."

I blinked, caught off guard. "What? No. That would be... weird."

He laughed, his eyes gleaming with amusement. "Relax, it's not like I'm trying to introduce you to my moms or anything."

I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding. "Then why invite me?"

Nate's expression shifted, a glint of something mischievous flashing in his eyes. "We're doing something that might interest you. And since you're adamant you're not the typical spoiled rich girl William said you are, I thought maybe you'd like to prove it."

My entire body stiffened at the mention of William. The anger bubbled up again, hot and fierce. Of course, Nate wants nothing more than to challenge me. And, of course, Nate wanted to prove I was some shallow, privileged brat who had never had to struggle a day in her life.