Chapter 3

*THIS NOVEL IS A WORK IN PROGRESS - ANY COMMENTS OR FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED BY THE READER. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR READING MY WORK*

Chapter 3

Nate

I don't know what makes Aurora Westbrook different from every other girl on campus, but I find myself watching her far too often during class. I wonder what she does outside the lecture hall besides working shifts at The Study.

The last time we were together, I was training her, and since then, my shifts have been sparse, mostly evenings to fit around my classes and football schedule. Aurora, on the other hand, seems to have her name plastered all over the breakroom schedule. I swear I didn't check it on purpose.

Today, her strawberry-blonde hair is pulled into a messy bun atop her head as she types diligently on her laptop. She wears a simple white tank top that accentuates her figure, and her face is free of makeup, save for a hint of pink gloss on her lips. Beside her is her friend Callie, who's scrolling through Amazon instead of paying attention.

"She's super hot, huh?" Samuel nudges me, his tone teasing.

I glance over at Aurora, feeling a strange mix of irritation and intrigue. Does Samuel like her? My body goes rigid at the thought. I shouldn't care. Aurora has a pretentious air that irks me. I focus back on my laptop, trying to shake off the feeling.

"Aurora?" I confirm.

He looks at me quizzically. "Is she the tall blonde?"

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "No."

"Oh right," he says, straightening up. "The petite redhead next to her is the girl you pegged with a football. She's hot too, but I'm into tall blondes."

I can't help but laugh. "That's Callie."

His brows lift with interest. "Callie, huh? You have to introduce me after class."

"What? No way," I reply, taken aback. "I barely know either of them."

"Since when does Nate Johnson turn down a chance with a girl?" He shakes his head, dismissing my reluctance.

Fuck. He has a point. I've hit on more girls on this campus than I'm proud to admit, and I've consistently scored on every attempt. My chest tightens when I glance at Aurora again. I don't know why the thought of approaching her and Callie makes me slightly uneasy, but it does. I'm feeling an odd mix of blindsided and naive for not anticipating Samuel would make a move on a girl like Callie and launch me into Aurora's inner circle.

"Okay, fine. I'll introduce you," I say, half-heartedly.

As class wraps up, I steal another glance at Aurora. She's busy packing up her laptop, and a wave of anxiety washes over me as I prepare to approach. Samuel nudges me forward, and suddenly I'm standing in front of her, not ten feet away. Aurora's big brown eyes sweep over me, skepticism evident in her gaze.

This isn't my first time approaching women, but I feel strangely out of my depth. Despite her small stature—barely five feet—there's an intimidating presence about her. Samuel stands just behind me, waiting for me to break the ice.

"How's it going, Ginger?" I say, forcing a smile.

"Great, thanks," she replies, her tone skeptical. "Can I help you with something?"

"Who's your friend?" I ask, ignoring the sting of her disinterest. I turn to Callie. "Callie? Is that right?"

"Yeah. Who's asking?" she retorts, eyeing Samuel.

He steps forward, flashing his trademark grin. "Samuel Loyola. You should know me; I'm UCLA's star defensive lineman."

In my peripheral vision, I see Aurora watching me closely as I step aside, letting Samuel take the lead.