Chapter Four

As the long hot days wore on, my paws continued to get more sore. Thomas kept a heavy pace each day pushing our milage. I could feel my bones whine with each step. Although we were originally going to summit Hanger Peak, we both realized that as the harsh winter approached it was more important to find resources and warmth. Knowing that the elevation we were currently at was far too high for the winter we began to plan for a new route.

"We maybe have two months before it will become too dangerous to travel," Thomas said grimly.

His estimate was generous and we both know that we probably have less time. At the pace we have been going it would probably take us a month to get to a survivable elevation. Then we will have less than a month to prepare for the winter ahead.

I wordlessly nod in agreement and follow his lead. I watched as his wolf gracefully navigated the steep terrain we had been traversing for the past hour. My thoughts began to drift off to my mate.

Although Vera was convinced we would meet them, I reasoned that our mate was likely dead. It was unheard of for a wolf to meet their mate after twenty. I sighed and tried to block Vera from the reality that I had accepted.

As we continued down the forest Vera grew a steady rhythm within her paws. Easily, she was able to guide herself through rocky staircases that now towered above us. Walking through the forest floor, Thomas suddenly stopped. There was an abandoned shelter in the middle of the woods. We both knew the risks of being near a pack, but it seemed that the shelter had been abandoned for a while, and the scent of a pack was not present.

Our aching paws guided us to the comfort that the shelter offered. Both of our hearts were racing, and the slightest noise sent us into a panic. However, the shelter could not be passed up after the treacherous past months we had on the move.

Still on high alert, we began to set up a bed and fire. Another risk that we likely would not have taken were it not for the exhaustion we felt.

Thomas had caught a few rabbits earlier and we both happily and wordlessly enjoyed the valuable calories.

After moments of enjoying full bellies and the much-needed rest we made our way to lay on the roof.

The cool tile of the roof chilled my skin as I looked at the starry sky. Thomas and I remained wordless enjoying the company of the stars.

Finally, I said, "Where do you think our life will be like when we finally make it to our place for the winter?"

Thomas thought for a while, "We'll find a place we know is isolated. Each night we'll enjoy big rumbling fires, and we will explore the landscape to enjoy what it has to offer rather than fighting to survive each day."

I sigh dreaming of the same vision he has for us.

"You're shivering" Thomas stated suddenly. I had not realized, but he was right. The crisp night air was beginning to get too cold for me.

Wordlessly Thomas reached his arm around me and I tucked my head on his chest. His warm body instantly caused the shivering to stop. I ignored his sour smell and the pull that tugged on me telling me that this was wrong. If this was wrong, then I would be truly alone out here, and susceptible to the madness that the life of a rogue sends people to.

I woke up on the roof and Thomas was gone. The cool air reminded me that winter would be coming soon. Vera was quiet and no doubt upset with me for allowing another male to touch me. I sighed and observed as the sun began to rise in the east.

Knowing that we would need to get on the move soon I swiftly climbed down from the roof. Thomas greeted me in the shelter and had packed up what little belongings we had. I took in the small space and felt a ping of sadness that we would not be able to stay here.

In the corner was a small mirror. I hadn't seen what I looked like in months other than the reflection of water. Now I saw my dirt-covered face which masked my freckles, bringing out my blue eyes. My hair waved down past my breasts in a wild mane. I combed it out with my fingers and quickly tied it in a loose braid down by back as a few pieces still framed my face. Finally taking in the last details of the cabin I turned to Thomas and nodded at his waiting face, confirming that I was ready to leave.

I allowed him to lead the way and my thoughts drifted off to what life would be like when we were finally able to settle down in the winter. My soul craved for a place to call home, at least for a short while. As we continued to start our day I looked to my right and took in the bright colors of the sun rise, everything relflected a golden hue.

Suddenly my heart plummeted down a pit in my stomach. The air was knocked out of me and I knew that Thomas was not safe.

We had been traveling north this whole time. I knew this landscape. We were going back to the Silver Moon Pack. Thomas had been lying to me. Vera darted around my mind angry and hysterical, we could not go back.

Maybe Thomas was confused about the plan I reasoned, "Do you think we'll be far enough south in a few weeks," I dumbly asked. Would he correct me, or did he think that I did not know which way we were traveling?

"At this pace, I would say that we are on schedule," Thomas answered back absent-mindedly

Utter devastation rippled through me.

Thomas had been lying this whole time. Was he working for the Alpha, or was he using me against the Alpha, would he turn me over to him when we got back? Questions whizzed in my mind, shattering me with fear. I felt my blood electrify wanting to attack, but I knew I could do nothing. Thomas had saved me from a rogue before, there was no way that I would be able to fight him.

There was only one thing that I could do, and that was escape the only person I had trusted moments ago.

My gut tangled as I continued to follow Thomas wordlessly. I stared at his back, watching his every move, each muscle flexing and relaxing. What was running through his head? Did he even care about me? It did not matter, I did not care. My focus had to be on leaving, on survival.

We continued through the open forest floor. The pinyon pine that usually captured my eye was distant as my every thought was fixated on my next move. Each step we took was taking me closer to the Silver Moon pack. A fate that would either end in the Alpha taking me, or killing me, either way, my life would be over. I needed to make a move and make it fast.

My mind ran through a list of plans to escape, but I struggled to think as Thomas was stronger and faster than I was. He had been a rogue for much longer, and much of what I had recently learned had come from him. If I was going to survive I knew that I could not rely on what the past months had taught me as Thomas would be thinking in the same way.

I let Vera take control. Her light blue eyes no doubt shone. To my surprise she did nothing, but allow Thomas to guide us. My bones were rattling crying out to leave, but I knew better and chose to trust Vera.