A False Play

Riftan walked quickly through the halls of the palace like a man possessed. The faster he found Maxi, the faster she could be cured, and the faster they could all get the hell out of here.

He eventually found her in the solarium, working on some small crafts with her ladies-in-waiting.

"I wish to have a word with her majesty, alone," he said as calmly as he could, but was unable to hide the biting rage beneath his tone.

Her ladies-in-waiting tried to protest such a brash request, but Maxi dismissed them, not fearing and truthfully uncaring of what he would say or do to her. She assured them that she would smite him if he tried anything rash. Riftan's eyes narrowed at her words, and he looked at her with newfound trepidation. The king had muted her ability to feel emotion, so who's to say that he had not also enhanced her powers?

The rest of the Remdragon knights arrived as the last of the servants departed from the room. They readied themselves to flee as soon as her ladyship had regained her senses.

Maxi took a large draught of her red wine before gracefully rising from her luxurious chair.

"What can I do for my distinguished guests?" She asked with a blatantly mocking sweetness as she clasped her hands in front of her. She turned to face Riftan directly. "Are you in need of assistance, my Lord?"

"There's no need for such formalities when addressing the one you love," Riftan said a little too calmly.

"My king is not with you," she threw back in his face as she pretended to look behind them as though trying to catch a glimpse of the king hiding behind them, an impossibility considering that he towered over even the tallest of the knights.

Riftan nearly flinched at her words but tried to remain impassive as he slowly stepped closer to her.

"It's time you came to your senses, Maximilian." Riftan said gently. "You need to remember."

Maxi scoffed.

"As I told you before, I unfortunately remember who you are, all of you," she said bitterly. "I just don't care anymore."

Riftan continued to move closer and now stood within arm's reach of his wife. He caught a glimpse of sickening mischief in her eyes, but it was gone as soon as it appeared. A warning he should have heeded but chose to ignore.

"We know the truth about your adopted son," Riftan said quietly.

Maxi narrowed her eyes, the only indication she gave of her surprise.

"And you are aware that people will say anything they can to save their skin when you threaten their life?" Maxi said.

So she had already heard about his "talk" with the king.

"So you're just going to call him out like that?" One of the knights asked. "I thought you respected your king?"

"I respect him plenty," Maxi nearly laughed. "But that doesn't mean I won't call him on his bullshit."

"He swore he never touched you." Riftan insisted.

Maxi studied his face, and whatever she found there was pleasing to her as something like delight danced behind her silver eyes.

"Is that fear I see in your eyes, Commander?" She said with an unnatural formality.

Riftan scowled but remained silent. His anxiety rose by the second, not knowing who was telling the truth. Had the king made love to his wife? His stomach rolled at the mere thought of it. Despite the hope he felt in his heart at being so close to having his Maxi finally come to her senses, he supposed the worry that it wouldn't work could also be seen on his face. And if he were honest with himself, he feared deep down that the king could possibly be a better lover. He began to reach for her when she spoke again, the shadow of a smirk forming on the edge of her lips.