Chapter 32: Surprise

"Careful. Be careful."

"I know. I'm used to this." Vin giggled.

Lily can't help but raised her eyebrow. In the midst of the busy kitchen, Vin and JK were in their own world, giggling for every little thing or perhaps no reason at all while peeling potatoes. She looked beside her, at Cordyn who was engrossed with removing the eyes of each skinned piece.

"Hey. Don't slack. These potatoes need to be mashed and fried quickly." He said when she noticed her slowing.

"Tell that to those lovebirds."

Cordyn eyed them. "They might be endlessly flirting but they're efficient."

"I pity you, oppa. You must feel so alone whenever you're with those two."

He scoffed. "Kind of used to it. Papa and Dada are always like that too. And now with them, I feel like an expert thirdwheel. I basically have a PhD."

"You should find a girlfriend so you can fit in." She dropped her gaze after saying it.

He only smiled and let out a long sigh.

"By the way, don't forget about the thing two days from now." He whispered. "Come early."

"Yeah."

In two days, it will be JK's eighteenth birthday. The Jeons planned a small surprise. They've been bringing him to the restaurant to help in the kitchen so that he'd be preconditioned to stay there while they are preparing the surprise at home.

One of their staffs came in.

"Vin, your father is calling you."

"Why?"

"A guest knows you."

Vin's lips jutted. "Who is it?" He asked rhetorically.

He put down the knife, washed his hands and removed his apron.

"I'll come back." He told JK with a smile.

JK watched him exit, feeling a bit anxious of being without him. He saw that the staff called Jungkook out too. He continued to peel quietly. Five potatoes in and Vin still hasn't returned. So he placed the knife down and paced to the kitchen entrance. He looked at the dining area.

He found him in front of a table. He was joined by both his fathers. They were conversing with some guests. Among them was Gummy. The other two are probably his mother and father, JK assumed. He looked at them. At their stance, their faces and their clothing. His eyes focused on the woman's large matching gold necklace and earrings. His chest tightened at a thought. They're every bit fitting to be among one another. They run in the same circle. Gummy and his family is worthy of being introduced.

He strode back with a heavy heart. He looked at his hands. His hands that are rough, callused and scarred. They've been overused, doing only manual labor. He wandered his eyes around the kitchen. Even there, he can only do much. He can only do menial tasks. Because they're the only things his skills can afford him.

He carried that weight all day until the restaurant's closing time.

"This young man sure is handy. He can do many things."

JK heard one commend while he's moping a portion of the dining hall. Vin, Cordyn and Lily went out to buy late night snacks with Lisa. He asked to be left behind because of his mood.

"Thank you for all your help today, JK."

He gave a small smile at the woman who was wiping tables.

"All the kids here are so helpful, skilled and courteous. It's already rare to meet one these days. But here we have four."